D16Z6, vitaras, 46 trim t3/t04e

eCtuned dyno results.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

confUsed
http://phpbb3styles.net

D16Z6, vitaras, 46 trim t3/t04e

Post by confUsed »

So I finally got my car on the roller yesterday. Setup is: d16z6 vitaras custom i beam rods (8.5:1 ish compression) log mani t3/t04e with .48 hot side stage 1 wheel, and 46 trim compressor wheel 38mm tial wg full 2.5\" exhaust 2.5\" ic piping Stock head/IM/TB, etc We mapped 7, 11 and 15 psi, but when we turned up the pressure to 18 psi, we didnt gain anything up top. So we just let it taper off to 15 psi in the upper rpm's, since we didnt gain anything anyway. I knew the combination of full exhaust, log mani and a small hot side would create a lot of backpressure, but honestly I was hoping for some better numbers. I didnt get time to play with the cam gear, which I cant stop to think about now :p Some ratard on the cam could maybe helped with torque in the upper prm's...? IDK, some comments about the results would be great. The dotted lines on the chart are 11 psi, the solid lines are 18-15 psi. Image
Attachments
finjust.cal
(8.25 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

from the looks of your graphs it seems like mabey it wanted more timing.. The vitara setups usually require alot of timing since the compression is so low.. That could wake up your top end a bit. ;)
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

xenocron
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by xenocron »

I agree...how many degrees of timing in the 18 psi column? What fuel?
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

confUsed

Post by confUsed »

10 degrees from 5-6K and 11 degrees from 6-7K. I attached the cal in the first post if you want to take a look :) I use the 98 octane stuff we have here in europe at the pumps, thats similar to 91 or 93 in the US, I think. The engine has something like 8.5:1 compression, so its not like the \"old\" vitara builds with the stock length rods and 7ish compression. It might need more timing, though, I really wished I had more time on the dyno. Hopefully I'll get to do a retune during the summer and have more time. So you mean more timing from 6K and up, or through the whole column?

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

looks like from about 4200 and up it could use quite a bit..

confUsed

Post by confUsed »

Okey, thanks for commenting :) I will play a bit more with timing the next time on the dyno. It seemed to me the tuner was a bit scared to add more timing up there, idk why. Does anyone hava a cal with a d16z6 with small turbo thats running the same or more pressure? I know there will always be differences, but having something to look at as a reference would be great. I have now idea what kind of timing people use to run :p

RoadXY

Post by RoadXY »

confUsed

Post by confUsed »

Yeah, I would love to take a look at one of those cal's, but they are not posted, only dynographs ;)

Gaskleppie

Post by Gaskleppie »

Bugermass wrote:looks like from about 4200 and up it could use quite a bit..
If your dizzy is set right, I think you can add 5 or even more degrees above 4200rpm. Check your plugs if you try it. I think you will be amazed by the difference ;)
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

confUsed

Post by confUsed »

I sync'd my timing right before I went to the dyno, so it should be right... I'll throw in a new set of plugs and give it a try asap ;)

confUsed

Post by confUsed »

Seems like I have had bad luck with the tuner :S Gave it 2 degrees, and it wanted more fuel, the time from 4500-7000 in third went down (looking at the graphs) and no sounds of det. Anoter two degrees and the same applied, and tires started slipping more and more :) Didnt have time to check the plugs, so I just turned it back to where I started to be safe. I dont feel like doing this stuff on my own without a dyno anyway, so I guess I'll just run this map until I find another tuner. To bad its 8,5 hours trip to one with honda experience :p Anyway, I appreciate the input guys. I always get the help I need on this forum :)

confUsed

Post by confUsed »

Can such low ignition be the cause of som of my overheating problems at the circuit? I never overheat when I drive the car normally or hard on the road, but once on the circuit with all that on/off pedal control, I overheat very quickly at anythin above 7psi. I'm working on improvements on the cooling system, but it just seems to be overheating a bit quicker than what other people with similar setups do...

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

Yes, too low of ignition timing will cause the turbo to get much hotter than normal and will put ALOT of heat into your engine bay.. With proper ignition timing more of the heat stays in the cylinders and gets soaked into the cooling system. Honestly if the car was running better before when you added the timing I'd add the timing.. If your unsure just add some timing, do some pulls on a NEW set of plugs (#7s) and take some really good pictures and post, we'll help you get it dialed in. What AFRs are you shooting for currently?

confUsed

Post by confUsed »

OK, that would have been awesome :) I'll add the timing and take some pics as soon as I can :) I have some new sets with #8's laying around, and thats what I'm using now. They seem to be fine, no fouling or anything, so I hope that would be ok? I've been aiming for 11,2-11,5 AFR's.

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

#8s are probably too cold to get an acurate timing mark on the ground strap. While they will work fine it'll be hard to use them as a timing guide. Once you get it all dialed in you can put the 8s back in, but for this purpose I'd put some 7s in there.