B16A T3/T4 6PSI 203WHP 139TRQ

eCtuned dyno results.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

EITCP
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

Post by EITCP »

stock pistons can hold a lot with a good tune. i tuned several B16 cars with turbo and 9-10 psi and they still driving around. ieven tuned stock JDM ITR B18c6 turbo at 7psi and the engine still holds together. if stock pistons can not handle this boost then sooner or later forged ones will give up too because it is a tuning problem. B20beast must take off the head and see what realy happened.either he cracked ringlands (timing probem)or damaged piston skirts/sleeve bores (wrong fuel map).
---------------------------------- TUNERC team eCtune Authorised Tuner for Slovenia Passed ACP course at EFI University in Temecula, CA, November 07

naturalalloy

Post by naturalalloy »

You found the knock threshold...oops. It happens. Don't go adding timing without at least reading the plugs as you make changes. I really prefer to use an listening device to catch any knock early. My B16 lasted 11psi and 320-330whp for almost 20,000 miles. Soft timing and rich tune.

ge0ne

Post by ge0ne »

i am talkin of not safe and less hp. But accurate, more hp and more closer to the big bang. Either way it always depends on the way you drive. Hitting ALWAYS 8-9k rpm continuously on stock internals will get you closer to the end. I don't believe that ring lands broke from pressure or tune, but maybe both. The pressures i gave are on the safe side for everyday abuse!
Regards, George Nerantzis diasiq eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: All over Greece

patrickjr

Post by patrickjr »

i have a b16a on 10 psi with 1 deg of time out per psi i have about 10000 miles on it i take it apart to due some head work and my motor look good so that work for me
love fast honda

b20beast

Post by b20beast »

ge0ne wrote:i am talkin of not safe and less hp. But accurate, more hp and more closer to the big bang. Either way it always depends on the way you drive. Hitting ALWAYS 8-9k rpm continuously on stock internals will get you closer to the end. I don't believe that ring lands broke from pressure or tune, but maybe both. The pressures i gave are on the safe side for everyday abuse!
But everyone said the timing maps look good and the arf was in the 11.5-12.5AFR Range

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

Maybe it was already damaged in earlier tuning attempts?
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

b20beast

Post by b20beast »

Gaskleppie wrote:Maybe it was already damaged in earlier tuning attempts?
That is a possibility also, My ECT went up to 100Degrees Celsius that night. Is this a potential, problem for the cracked ringland?

ge0ne

Post by ge0ne »

100 ect, is not a big issue, of course it can help the damage but probably it went that high a little after the damege or a little before, an aluminum radiator is a must, and i always use a low temp thermostat and a thermo fan switch on setups like this. Gaskleppie i couldn't agree more with you.
Regards, George Nerantzis diasiq eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: All over Greece

b20beast

Post by b20beast »

ge0ne wrote:100 ect, is not a big issue, of course it can help the damage but probably it went that high a little after the damege or a little before, an aluminum radiator is a must, and i always use a low temp thermostat and a thermo fan switch on setups like this. Gaskleppie i couldn't agree more with you.
Thanks, i got a Aluminum Radiator i will try a low temp thermo... also why is there a need for a thermo fan switch, ectune can control the fan to turn on earlier

ge0ne

Post by ge0ne »

better have two protections, one one from the ecu and one from the low temp fan switch. I go with mugen but anything should work.

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

I've made over 400 on stock pistons/rods and pump gas and over 500 on stock pistons/rods on race gas.. The pistons arn't the problem.. You said you put a 10 PSI spring and the map sensor only read 8. If your using a stock map sensor this somtimes happens. Even though they are supposed to read like 11 PSI, I've had some stock honda maps sensors only read like 7 psi and actually be at 12.. The stock sensors are not very consistant and you have to pay very close attention to actuall boost externally from the ECU when using them.
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

b20beast

Post by b20beast »

Bugermass wrote:I've made over 400 on stock pistons/rods and pump gas and over 500 on stock pistons/rods on race gas.. The pistons arn't the problem.. You said you put a 10 PSI spring and the map sensor only read 8. If your using a stock map sensor this somtimes happens. Even though they are supposed to read like 11 PSI, I've had some stock honda maps sensors only read like 7 psi and actually be at 12.. The stock sensors are not very consistant and you have to pay very close attention to actuall boost externally from the ECU when using them.
ahhh this makes alot of sense. i have a mechanical boost gauge/autometer. it didn't go up near the 10psi mark at all. but lets say it read 12psi, the ecu referenced the 6-8psi column would it matter because its reading from there? but my green spring read correct..... 6.5psi

David974

Post by David974 »

b20beast wrote: Thanks, i got a Aluminum Radiator i will try a low temp thermo... also why is there a need for a thermo fan switch, ectune can control the fan to turn on earlier
The stock thermo fan switch is a 93°C one so you can't control the fan earlier if you want to go lower you need a new (mugen style) thermo fan switch regards

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

b20beast wrote: ahhh this makes alot of sense. i have a mechanical boost gauge/autometer. it didn't go up near the 10psi mark at all. but lets say it read 12psi, the ecu referenced the 6-8psi column would it matter because its reading from there? but my green spring read correct..... 6.5psi
Basically what will happen is your making 12 PSI of boost, but the ECU only thinks your at 6 or 8 or whatever so you end up with only enough fuel for 8PSI and a bit too much timing.. Also we have like 3-4 different boost guages floating around the shop and they are all off from each other. Anyone whos tuning a boosted car should really do themselves a favor a buy a really nice quality liquid filled mechanical boost guage. Its almost as important as a good wideband.. pressure sensors vary and its always good to know EXACTLY how much boost you are really running, especially if you don't have a dyno at your disposal to find MBT..
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

b20beast

Post by b20beast »

Bugermass wrote:
b20beast wrote: ahhh this makes alot of sense. i have a mechanical boost gauge/autometer. it didn't go up near the 10psi mark at all. but lets say it read 12psi, the ecu referenced the 6-8psi column would it matter because its reading from there? but my green spring read correct..... 6.5psi
Basically what will happen is your making 12 PSI of boost, but the ECU only thinks your at 6 or 8 or whatever so you end up with only enough fuel for 8PSI and a bit too much timing.. Also we have like 3-4 different boost guages floating around the shop and they are all off from each other. Anyone whos tuning a boosted car should really do themselves a favor a buy a really nice quality liquid filled mechanical boost guage. Its almost as important as a good wideband.. pressure sensors vary and its always good to know EXACTLY how much boost you are really running, especially if you don't have a dyno at your disposal to find MBT..
ok another question lets say the ecu read 8psi but actually at 12psi.... wideband shows a consistaant 11.5-12.5AFR. So i assume i was in the right column. What do you make Also what brand makes mechanical liquid filled boost gauge?