Moderator: Gaskleppie

denn
http://phpbb3styles.net

Post by denn »

i think timing too high or wrong set up ALS

Joey Misanthropy
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Joey Misanthropy »

xenocron wrote:That sinking feeling in your gut when you hear noises like that is what will make you go bald like me :)
Yah, in the recent NE dyno day pics it looks like you leapfrogged me... but I may be splitting hairs with that comparison. :P
sewell94 wrote: but heres some pics, he said hes seen it a few times over the years, but didn't say anything else, i treid to coax an explanation outta him, but just got "send it in"
I've seen multiple Mitsufeces do it, every last one was running one of those small shaft Mitsufeces turbos that's only efficient in the 300 whp level yet gets operated in the 400 whp level - big 16G and a couple 20G cheesed into the 16G compressor housing units. These are also the cars that shit bearings afterward due to loss of oil pressure when the turbine wheel goes, and you can say what you want about the rest of the car, six bolt 4G63 are not frail. Anytime all that oil smoke comes roilling out of the exhaust you can consider it oil that didn't go to the bearings. Excessive heat, wrong design for the application, and manufacturing defects are the causes. For the shaft to break the turbine has to get really hot quicker than the shaft can dissipate across the bearings/oil, or the unit was messed up from the box. Unless you were raising hell on ALS or had a lot of timing retard (impossible without making significantly less than 636 @ 25 psi) my vote is manufacturing defect.
Regards, Joseph Davis eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Asheville, NC USA

sewell94

Post by sewell94 »

Ya the only other person i've talked to thats done the same thing was a mitsu guy. There some cheap mofo's, there on a rotary level. :D Don't be jinxing me on the bearing issue, i'm def gonna check them out for sure, its one of those i don't really wanna know kinda things :shock: I figure it was either a manufacturing defect(more than likely, if it wasn't brand new i'd think differently) or i just plain overspun the turbo(thats hard to believe though). It wasnt ALS or having to much timing retard, i have an egt guage and it wasn't any higher then normal. If it were a tuning issue at those boost levels something would have happened to the engine, and like Joey said, it wouldn't have been making that kinda hp if the timing was that retarded, esp enough to melt an exhaust wheel off. This car has ran great for years at 500hp on 93, i should have just left the dam thing alone. :?

sewell94

Post by sewell94 »

So i finally talked to my turbo guy, (he was on vacation then i was out of town taking care of my wife) and he said it was a manufacturing defect. So hopefully i'll be back up on the dyno by next weekend. Also that sneaky bastard said it had an S trim wheel instead of the P trim like i had asked for, i was wondering why the hell it was spooling so slow. :)

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

let us know
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.