Why is it always MY car that has problems :)

eCtuned dyno results.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

xenocron
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

Why is it always MY car that has problems :)

Post by xenocron »

Take a look at these graphs and my CAL, and let me know if its me or something mechanical that is wrong. Most LSVtec turbo motors I have tuned like VTEC from 4800-5100 RPMs...I assume others find this to be true as well. Looking at my graphs, my power is low for my setup...but my VTEC being optimal at 5700 RPMs is off as well so who knows if something mechanical is wrong... Pink line was my last run, highest boost I was comfortable with that day. VTEC at 5700rpms. Gray line is ~11psi, with VTEC set at 5700 Turquoise line is ~11psi, with VTEC set at 5000 CAL file is attached along with graphs. The setup info is as follows: LS VTEC, CP Pistons 9.5:1 Comp...with stock GSR Head puts me near 10:1, compression numbers are about 190-200 across all four. I havent done a comp test lately or leak down (I do need to though). - SC34 57 Trim T3/T04E Turbo, .48/.63 - Inline PRO SS T3 Manifold - 2.5 DP and full exhaust (with cat) - Bar/Plate 22x9x3 Intercooler - RC550 High Imp Injectors - Motorola 4 Bar Map Sensor - GM Boost Solenoid, normally closed setup - Tial 38mm, 11psi spring - GSR Cams - Cam Gears at 0/0...adjustments made no differences in power levels or VTEC points Oil pressure is good...air/fuels are ~11.3 at full boost. Car ran 12.8 @ 109 last Sunday at the track so times and trap speeds match the ~321whp dyno graph. Last tid bit of info is that at the track, with my return style catch can setup, oil was blowing out of my catch can...for what reason I do not know. This car gets about ~35 mpg on straight highway as well :)
Attachments
Chris-LSVTEC-HP-Boost.jpg
Chris-LSVTEC-HP-Boost.jpg (137.46 KiB) Viewed 4677 times
Chris-LSVTEC-HP-Torque.jpg
Chris-LSVTEC-HP-Torque.jpg (151.92 KiB) Viewed 4677 times
Xenocron-LSVTEC.cal
(8.1 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

nate
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by nate »

Moving the cam gears around didnt move the powerband at all?
eCtune Team

xenocron

Post by xenocron »

nate wrote:Moving the cam gears around didnt move the powerband at all?
Not enough to say so...3 degrees in either direction on both gears netted no substantial gains or losses...or movements in the power band.
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

with some really creative timing, you could probably smooth that out alot, I noticed on 1 car somthing simular to this and I ramped timing a bit in the areas where power seemed to fall off, I think it was like .50 to 1.25 increase depending on the area and it smoothed out significantly and the power was smooth with VTEC at 5000..
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

it may look weird in the map, but if it works and the cars liking it, than I can't see any reason not to do it.. now if it is a mechanical problem thats a different story.. Just an idea..
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

Civic Tsi

Post by Civic Tsi »

Really weird, looking at your cal, I would have put it around 4700rpm.
eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Qc, Qc, Canada

f.i.a.t

Post by f.i.a.t »

i remember you buying a new dyno. make sure you apply the load identically each run as well as have the correct amount of load for your vehicle setup otherwise issues like this arent uncommon. i speak from experience with the dyno dynamics

xenocron

Post by xenocron »

f.i.a.t wrote:i remember you buying a new dyno. make sure you apply the load identically each run as well as have the correct amount of load for your vehicle setup otherwise issues like this arent uncommon. i speak from experience with the dyno dynamics
yes, i have noticed what i think you are speaking about in other setups... i dont believe this is the problem with my setup...but will require further investigation the car ran a 12.8 @ 109 with a 1.86 60' on 22" x 15" slicks...so the power levels are right at where the numbers should be i guess

Civic Tsi

Post by Civic Tsi »

Well unless you car weight a ton, I'll say you're 10mph short.
eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Qc, Qc, Canada

sewell94

Post by sewell94 »

I agree your mph sounds real low, With 320hp and your civic(assume 2500lbs total weight) you should be around 118mph. With the oil blowing everywhere either you need a better breather setup or sounds like you need to do a leakdown test. I haven't ever seen oil spitting out at a low boost level like 11 lbs.

Boosted K20

Post by Boosted K20 »

do u have the stock GSR IM? most of the setups i have tuned with similiar mods require VTEC anywhere from 4700 to 5100 like u said. for a stock GSR cam, 5700 rpms seems a bit high. on one car i was tuning 2 weeks ago, i had VTEC set really high like around 5.7K-5.8K. anything lower and the car would bog in VTEC. it turned out that the car had a boost leak. fixing the boost leak allowed VTEC to be set at around 5200 rpms (Stock B16 motor) Worth a try to test for any leaks

xenocron

Post by xenocron »

Boosted K20 wrote:do u have the stock GSR IM? most of the setups i have tuned with similiar mods require VTEC anywhere from 4700 to 5100 like u said. for a stock GSR cam, 5700 rpms seems a bit high. on one car i was tuning 2 weeks ago, i had VTEC set really high like around 5.7K-5.8K. anything lower and the car would bog in VTEC. it turned out that the car had a boost leak. fixing the boost leak allowed VTEC to be set at around 5200 rpms (Stock B16 motor) Worth a try to test for any leaks
Nope, Edelbrock Victor X... No time to play with my car lately...