Stock GSR w 12.5:1 pistons E85 N/A

eCtuned dyno results.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

Stock GSR w 12.5:1 pistons E85 N/A

Post by Bugermass »

Image This is a bone stock GSR motor, with 12.5:1 Pistons, stock exhaust/intake manifold cams, the whole deal on E85.. I used my HighRes N/A map that i posted in the tuner files section, I'll post the .cal with the final tune.[/img]
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

Heey, The first E85 eCtuned car I guess? Still I thought you could get more power out of this higher octane E85. How was the tuning compared to a similar petrol powered GSR? What are the big differences except the timing? What AF gave the best power?

xenocron
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by xenocron »

Gaskleppie wrote:What are the big differences except the timing? What AF gave the best power?
I wouldnt imagine netting more power exactly on E85 with an NA motor... That thing needs bigger cams...DESPARATELY!!! 8)
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

Boosted K20

Post by Boosted K20 »

for stock cams, good power!

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

It wasn't any more difficult to tune than gasoline.. It took alot more fuel, but the timing was suprisingly simular to gasoline.. I ended up with a few degrees more timing than on gasonline, but nothing crazy.. Having higher octane has nothing to do with making more power. Just means its more resistant to knock. its does need some bigger cams, but the customer just wanted a daily driver that was clean burning, the higher compression was for better fuel efficiency. E85 is not very fuel efficient on lower compressions. It made best power in the 13.5 A/F range. It ran at lean part throttle A/Fs 15:1-16:1 without knock, but I went ahead and richened it up to about 14.0 just to be on the safe side. I'm interested to see how the fuel effecieny is affected by runing really lean part throttle A/F, since we can do it with no knock, but I rather test this on my own motor and not a customers ; P .. Oh yeah and when I pulled the plugs to check them after we were done, they still looked brand new except for color change on the ground strap.. Form what I could see, I could probably eat of the pistons they were still so clean..
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

redshade5

Post by redshade5 »

It was a bone stock b16 head. I did some calculations and that throttle body maxes out around 180 anyway. I almost have the part throttle tuned out 100%. One other thing. The iat corrections needed tweaking would start running more rich as it would get warm. With the e85 it wanted even less fuel as the temp goes up. I am getting around 30-31 mpg on it right now and that's with a part throttle at 14.6 anyway I am happy with the result. As u know I just wanted a motor to be able to burn e85 not build an n/a race car. BOOST is the only way to go with a honda....

Bindegal

Post by Bindegal »

It wouild be very interesting to log the exhaust temperature compared to our average gasoline B16/B18. Good job :) /Allan

Gaskleppie

Post by Gaskleppie »

Thanks for the info! This engine needs closed loop with a wideband to get the most out of this fuel! With wideband closed loop you can let it run on any AF! If 15,5:1 is no problem for this engine, go for it!

sewell94

Post by sewell94 »

Nice job!!! I still haven't got to play with some e85 yet :(

redshade5

Post by redshade5 »

I bought a aem wideband saterday when we were at the dyno so I can have one installed in the car. I plan on running it closed loop with the input just have to make a nice mount for it this week. I did check the egt yesterday just playing around and it maxed at 780 F and that was a very long pull in 4th gear. I was curious too since I knew it should make the egt cooler. Btw I have rc750cc right now and wot the duty cycle is only 44%

xenocron

Post by xenocron »

redshade5 wrote:I bought a aem wideband saterday when we were at the dyno so I can have one installed in the car. I plan on running it closed loop with the input
Good luck with that, I think both the Zeitronix and AEM have a non linear output which could make for nice frustration while trying to setup closed loop wideband feedback.
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

redshade5

Post by redshade5 »

Perhaps that's why I have heard people complaining about the scaling offset changing threw the rpm range. I haven't tried it, but I am sure you know better than I do.I just generally assume its user error more than hardware error. I just didn't want to stick my plm in the car for fear someone would steal it. I guess I will just test the closed loop wideband with the plm to see how well it works and then just run open loop. Do you recommend any other widebands?

Gaskleppie

Post by Gaskleppie »

I am driving closed loop wideband since it was born. You have to use the advised settings to make it work. My little B16 drives in normal closed loop situations at 15:1 with no problems. At higher loads its going open loop like normal. Its using a bit less fuel this way. :P

redshade5

Post by redshade5 »

I will know for sure this weekend. I am coming to work friday just to machine the mounting plate so I can install it. Plus I just want to play around with the closed loop wideband. Hahaha

RoadXY

Post by RoadXY »

xenocron wrote:
redshade5 wrote:I bought a aem wideband saterday when we were at the dyno so I can have one installed in the car. I plan on running it closed loop with the input
Good luck with that, I think both the Zeitronix and AEM have a non linear output which could make for nice frustration while trying to setup closed loop wideband feedback.
I'm dring with an Zeitronix in closed loop with no problems. Ask Gaskleppie since he tuned my car...