GT3071R .63AR good for B16a?

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

EITCP
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

GT3071R .63AR good for B16a?

Post by EITCP »

i am in process of building one turbocharged honda for one of mine customers. he is looking for good WHP, but he won't like to have spool at 5-6 K rpm (3500-4000 would be great for him) . We were looking for Gt2871R or GT3071r, both T3 .63 ehaust housing. Any experience when GT3071 will spool? setup: b16a 9:1 compression GSR cams, cam gears adjustable ramhorn manifold 2.5\" exhaust
---------------------------------- TUNERC team eCtune Authorised Tuner for Slovenia Passed ACP course at EFI University in Temecula, CA, November 07

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

for spooling at ~4000rpm I would advice the GT2871r The GT30 is a bit too big for serious boost at that low numbers.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

EITCP

Post by EITCP »

This is not old style GT30R (aka GT3076R), this is newer style turbo and manufacturer says it spools 1000rpms quicker. That is why i am asking if this turbo can spool bit faster Turbo is the newest addition to the Garrett Ball Bearing Line up. It fills in the requirements for small displacement 4 cyl. engines and has a excellent response characteristics. It spools up 1,000 RPM sooner than the older GT30R. The Dual Ball Bearing GT3071R Turbo comes assembled with T3 style turbine housing with T3 inlet flange. Turbine housing style available in Standard GT or with T3/T4 Ford Style 5 bolt turbine housing. Compressor housing is T04E frame size with 2.00 outlet. Compressor inlet is available with 2.75 or 4.00 inlet.
---------------------------------- TUNERC team eCtune Authorised Tuner for Slovenia Passed ACP course at EFI University in Temecula, CA, November 07

elevation

Post by elevation »

Id go gt28r it will spool close to where you want and can make 400hp. The gt17 on my d15 spools almost instantly. You can always retard the exhaust cam a little if you go bigger.

HiProfile

Post by HiProfile »

The GT2871r can make over 400whp with a decent motor, and spool fast as hell. The GT28RS can still do 350whp with lots of boost. The GT30x turbos make over 500whp with stock-head B18's w/o going over 25psi in most cases. IMO the GT30x is much too large for a street car. I've seen some budget (HMT) cars with less power go much faster than the street/strip GT30 cars. The *ONLY* reason people use those larger turbos on Hondas is because of the stock MAP sensor - they're subconsciously brain-washed. Its been a plague to the Honda world, since most people think 10psi is the end-all of boost, and get a turbo that maxes out their parts with low boost. REgardless of which turbo, you'll be much better off with a divided turbine. THat may be what they are talking about with the 1k rpm spool difference (which is a BOLD claim). It will spool faster as well as make more power.

hackish

Post by hackish »

Holy crap guys! A GT35R on a B16 spools by 5500 and that's with the 0.82 AR housing. Ask me - I did it once. The 2871R is a nice street choice and you will be well into boost by 3500. They start falling out of the sweet spot around 350whp. According to garrett you can make a max of 460bhp but that's way outside it's efficiency range. If you've got a built engine and want to make lots of power this is not the turbo for you. The GT3071R actually works better on built B16's because all their power is at higher RPMs too and this is where the GT28 series tend to choke off. You have the same compressor wheel so it doesn't give you any more power but it is a better match. Finally, for a little more whorespower you can go up to the GT3076R. I never really noticed a big difference in spoolup between that and the 3071R and I've done a few of each. At the top end they make significantly more power and it's very noticeable. -Michael
eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada

elevation

Post by elevation »

HP goal is the question for which to use. I try to keep street cars 280 - 320 makes a nice daily driver imho.