Did some work on my car today

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Adam Hopkins
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

Did some work on my car today

Post by Adam Hopkins »

I upgraded the wires from my fuel pump to 10 gauge. WOW! what a huge difference. It changed the tone of my pump and got rid of inconsistency issues I was having with fuel. This is a 100% must if you have an upgraded fuel pump. This has also helped my injector offset issue I was having. I just thought I would share the info to help others. :wink:

Civic Tsi

Post by Civic Tsi »

Nice. heard about this on DSM and SRT4, didn't know it would make a big diff on a Honda.
eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Qc, Qc, Canada

borat

Post by borat »

This would probably even benefit a stock pump slightly. Even 1 or 2 extra volts over 12v causes a large increase in flow in most pumps, often exceeding the percentage voltage increase.

Adam Hopkins

Post by Adam Hopkins »

borat wrote:This would probably even benefit a stock pump slightly. Even 1 or 2 extra volts over 12v causes a large increase in flow in most pumps, often exceeding the percentage voltage increase.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. I still cant believe the difference. It runs like a different car.
Civic Tsi wrote:Nice. heard about this on DSM and SRT4, didn't know it would make a big diff on a Honda.
Maybe not on all Hondas, but my 1991 civic it sure did help. This leads me to believe that this is the reason my last motor popped. I was running on the same tune for months and then one day BOOM! I think it just lost voltage and could not flow the needed fuel.

z31

Post by z31 »

Almost any honda can benefit from a fuel pump rewire. You got to think, any car manufacturer will save money if not needed to make the car work. Also they never plan for after market add ons. It's an economy car after all. I too also noticed a difference, and I've got a 99 hatch, so it's not just on yours.

WILD_EYE

Post by WILD_EYE »

Damn! That's definitely the next thing I'm going to do to my car once I get my car running AGAIN. Thanks for the info.

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

If you got your battery in the back of your car it can be made quite simple. Take a heavy relay and activate this relay with the stock old fuel pump wiring. Take a thicker wire directly from the battery to power the pump via the relay. You only have to put some fuse between the battery and the relay. Also, I heard a few times that the ground of the tank is often quite bad. Making the grounding better can also have good results.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

i am going to jump on this; I think it may be something to consider with the vehicle I have and the condition it was in when I got it.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

nate
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by nate »

Upping the gauge of the wiring can do wonders
eCtune Team

Almighty-Si

Post by Almighty-Si »

Good stuff ! I was planning on doing the power from my alt and grounds this weekend anyways, think ill do this also while I'm wiring.

Adam Hopkins

Post by Adam Hopkins »

Gaskleppie wrote:If you got your battery in the back of your car it can be made quite simple. Take a heavy relay and activate this relay with the stock old fuel pump wiring. Take a thicker wire directly from the battery to power the pump via the relay. You only have to put some fuse between the battery and the relay. Also, I heard a few times that the ground of the tank is often quite bad. Making the grounding better can also have good results.
That is exactly what I did, Except I took it a step further and replaced the wires in the tank too. I also replaced where the stock positive terminal goes through the pump housing so it is really 10 gause from battery to pump

calvin

Post by calvin »

Adam Hopkins wrote:
Gaskleppie wrote:If you got your battery in the back of your car it can be made quite simple. Take a heavy relay and activate this relay with the stock old fuel pump wiring. Take a thicker wire directly from the battery to power the pump via the relay. You only have to put some fuse between the battery and the relay. Also, I heard a few times that the ground of the tank is often quite bad. Making the grounding better can also have good results.
That is exactly what I did, Except I took it a step further and replaced the wires in the tank too. I also replaced where the stock positive terminal goes through the pump housing so it is really 10 gause from battery to pump
I did same long time. Till the pump is 10gauge gnd and power.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

non-vtec

Post by non-vtec »

what is the gauge thickness of the stock wiring? so you ran it right from the main relay or you added another relay? i was thinking of doing the same.....

z31

Post by z31 »

Most people will wire the stock fuel pump power wire to activate the relay, and they'll run a fused wire back from the battery through a relay to the pump. For the ground some people just find a good ground through metering, while others run it back to the t-stat engine ground or the battery ground. Just depends on how you want to do it.

Adam Hopkins

Post by Adam Hopkins »

Yes use stock wires to activate a new relay. I have no idea what gauge the stcok wires are but it is too small. I put a 15 AMP fuse inline to the relay.