Bad alternator?

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

xenocron
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

Post by xenocron »

Anyone know if there is one of these \"B+\" wires on the H Alternators? I am having similar issues where the car will start and run fine for a bit, around 13.8 - 14 volts...as it warms, voltage drops into the 12s. I am think that is it...
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

james25

Post by james25 »

H engines should also have the B+ wire on the alt, its a thick wire and its bolted to the B+ terminal on the back of the alt. Well I'm still back at square one, I took the alternator off and had autozone test it and its good. I cleaned the alt bracket that bolts to the block, cleaned my grounds again. I also took a piece of ground wire and hooked it up to the negative terminal of the batt and hooked the other end on the alt housing. Still no go.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

is it a nippendenso alt? I have had many do this to me; but it would fluctuate between 14.2 and 12.25. Mitsubishi ALT's like to run right from what I have seen. I would check the regulator in the ALT; that's normally the first thing affected by heat; that and the diode array.... Bad reg's in ALT's are common; but are heat induced.... so they \"test\" fine....
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

xenocron

Post by xenocron »

I think mine is heat related...and I think the ALT is shot. I need to pull out the Manifold and Turbo and get them both coated...even the car runs way to hot, so I need to do something.
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

Adam Hopkins

Post by Adam Hopkins »

I am seeing my car idle at about 14 when it first starts up then after driving a while at idle it only wants to charge 12.5 to 13. as soon as a rev over 2000 it charges correctly. I think it might be heat related also.
Regards, Adam Hopkins eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Murfreesboro, Tn, USA

xenocron

Post by xenocron »

Adam Hopkins wrote:I am seeing my car idle at about 14 when it first starts up then after driving a while at idle it only wants to charge 12.5 to 13. as soon as a rev over 2000 it charges correctly. I think it might be heat related also.
mine will hit 13.5-14.0 rarely after its heated up...even revving out to 5k

greasemonkee

Post by greasemonkee »

Adam Hopkins wrote:I am seeing my car idle at about 14 when it first starts up then after driving a while at idle it only wants to charge 12.5 to 13. as soon as a rev over 2000 it charges correctly. I think it might be heat related also.
These were my symptoms... Haven't tested yet with the new alt.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

That is a failing regulator symptom..... When regs get hot they used to lock on full blast... a common problem on older motorbikes.... Same design, just smaller, so the reg deals with more heat. To fix the problem with cooking batteries, they redesigned regulators to do the reverse, put out less... the problem with heat is it gives inconsistent results so it's better to slightly undercharge than overcharge (Voltage wise and for your battery's sake).
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

james25

Post by james25 »

JaredKaragen wrote:is it a nippendenso alt? I have had many do this to me; but it would fluctuate between 14.2 and 12.25. Mitsubishi ALT's like to run right from what I have seen. I would check the regulator in the ALT; that's normally the first thing affected by heat; that and the diode array.... Bad reg's in ALT's are common; but are heat induced.... so they "test" fine....
Mines a mitsubishi alt, I have another used mitsu alt that I keep for a spare. I'll just swap out alts. Is it possible the ELD is all behind this? My symptoms are heat related, my car ran perfect last winter...no voltage drop from charging system.

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

you might want to contact Kelly(here or NepTune forum) he did plenty testing ELD/Alt Control/Alt etc etc
Last edited by calvin on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

Adam Hopkins

Post by Adam Hopkins »

Its definitely worth looking into. It is not a huge problem it just makes your tune much more sensitive to battery tables. The more constants we have in the equation the easier it is to control.
Regards, Adam Hopkins eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Murfreesboro, Tn, USA

james25

Post by james25 »

Well I swapped the alternator and still does it. I did find out that when I have my headlights on at idle even if its hot outside or the car is hot, the charging voltage is at 13.8v and it just stays there which is good. I raised my idle to 850rpm to compensate for the idle drop that I'm having, before when the voltage drops to 12.5v, my idle would drop also. Now with no load at idle, it would drop down to 750rpm which is fine with me. My car doesn't like the 650rpm idle, it stalls. But like what Adam said, tuning becomes more sensitive.

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

did u cut the alt control wire?
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

james25

Post by james25 »

calvin wrote:did u cut the alt control wire?
Nope, I did not cut the altc wire. What would happen if I cut it?

calvin

Post by calvin »

Disable in ectune alt control first. Then if that doesn't work cut the wire... Alt control lowers the charge voltage of the alternator. For example JDM/EDM cars don't have that... so they charge all the time high volt. USDM cars lower the charge voltage. i hope i said it correctly