Wideband problems

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

blenz
http://phpbb3styles.net

Wideband problems

Post by blenz »

I am currently a eCtune pro user and I have set up an Innovate LC-1 wideband for permanent use in my car (turbocharged 97 acura 2.2 CL). My wideband has not been performing properly and I'm trying to get to the root of the problem. Some of the time when I connect to datalogging (with the innovate serial stream) I will get an error message saying the innovate device is not connected or something similar. Some of the time it will seem to function normally but the readings are inconsistant at idle and I cannot even get a consistent tune of the battery offset tables. I already replaced the sensor, hoping to solve the problem but that made no real difference. Right now I have the unit powered through the main fuse box (the door lights fuse). I have the heater ground and system ground (blue and white) both going to one of the bolts holding the passenger kick panel to the floor. Does anyone have advice on how to fix my problem?

xenocron
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by xenocron »

I believe while the wideband is warming up, if eCtune doesnt get a good connection after a set amount of time...it will time out and give you the error. You just need to try and reconnect to datalogging. Other than that, you didnt really post a specific problem with the wideband...so I'm not sure how to help. Your best bet is to call up Innovate's tech support 1st though and see if they cant help you resolve the issue.
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

blenz

Post by blenz »

Well when it is connected, I can't get any consistency in the readings. For example, once the engine is warm, I'll set the idle to 14.7ish using the injector calibration. If I turn on the headlights to try to work with the battery offset table then turn them back off, the idle will read a different AFR, even if I didn't make any changes. If I drive the car around for a bit then stop and let it idle, the AFR at idle will be different than when I started (same ECT, RPM, IAT). I don't mean a little bit different either, it will go from 16.5-13. If I can't get consistent readings at idle, then how am I supposed to trust the readings while driving? Thanks for the reply BTW

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

where is your wideband located exactly? If its getting too hot, it'll read different.. Also, try wiring it directly to the battery temperarily and see if that makes it more stable.. I've had issues with varying voltage with the LC units in the past.
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

xenocron
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by xenocron »

blenz wrote:Well when it is connected, I can't get any consistency in the readings. For example, once the engine is warm, I'll set the idle to 14.7ish using the injector calibration. If I turn on the headlights to try to work with the battery offset table then turn them back off, the idle will read a different AFR, even if I didn't make any changes. If I drive the car around for a bit then stop and let it idle, the AFR at idle will be different than when I started (same ECT, RPM, IAT). I don't mean a little bit different either, it will go from 16.5-13. If I can't get consistent readings at idle, then how am I supposed to trust the readings while driving? Thanks for the reply BTW
The varied readings is 100% the tuning... It comes down to the battery tables, correction tables and main fuel tables...if they arent set correctly, it will certainly vary depending on how cold/warm the motor is, heat soak...etc. Best bet, make a log of what is happening and post it here with your Calibration so people can examine that a little bit.
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...