Screw-in vs. Bolt-on IAT sensors?

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

98vtec
http://phpbb3styles.net

Screw-in vs. Bolt-on IAT sensors?

Post by 98vtec »

I'm getting a weird reading and i was hoping it was just a glitch in crome but i am getting the same reading in eCtune. I have the EuroR intake manifold for my h23vtec and you have to use an accord IAT sensor which is a threaded type sensor. The engine runs fine and it doesnt appear to be having any ill effects on the engine as i'm getting great gas mileage and its making great power without any hesitations, blips...etc. It uses the same connector and everything, i'm just unsure as to why its only reading 4*F and not having an ill effect on the engine.
eCtune Authorized Tuner Blake Barr Pensacola, FL XXX Performance - In House DynoJet 850-457-DYNO

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

If this condition was present during tuning also, then your fuel tables etc. are somewhat compensating for the weird temperature reading... N I´m just wondering what happens when there is a big (actual) change in temperature and the sensor is so much off. I had this idea that temp sensors were more or less identical in behavior from the very early PGM-FI cars right until now... maybe this isn´t the case after all? /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

98vtec

Post by 98vtec »

i really don't know. I'm going to check the ohm's and see if it matches the bolt-on type via service manual.
eCtune Authorized Tuner Blake Barr Pensacola, FL XXX Performance - In House DynoJet 850-457-DYNO

Garrett
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Garrett »

you could use a obd-2 civic/integra IAT and install it in the intake tube
eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Riviere-du-Loup, Quebec, Canada www.precisionautocanada.com

timmydogg

Re: Screw-in vs. Bolt-on IAT sensors?

Post by timmydogg »

98vtec wrote:I'm getting a weird reading and i was hoping it was just a glitch in crome but i am getting the same reading in eCtune. I have the EuroR intake manifold for my h23vtec and you have to use an accord IAT sensor which is a threaded type sensor. The engine runs fine and it doesnt appear to be having any ill effects on the engine as i'm getting great gas mileage and its making great power without any hesitations, blips...etc. It uses the same connector and everything, i'm just unsure as to why its only reading 4*F and not having an ill effect on the engine.
i just installed an accord iat in my charge pipe and if the engine is cold, they both read identical. bad sensor maybe? i tested both in a few different temps of water, and they read the same in eCtune for me. only issue i have is the slowness.

98vtec

Post by 98vtec »

hmm, interesting. Thank you for that information. If it was a bad sensor, i would think that it would throw a check engine light tho.

98vtec

Post by 98vtec »

Garrett wrote:you could use a obd-2 civic/integra IAT and install it in the intake tube
i'll look into this as well. I bet i can snag one at the pick-n-pull