(ECT and VSS work!) Yet another s2000 cauge project [READY]

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

nate
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

Post by nate »

Nice! Once it's done and 100% you're gonna make me one right? lol
eCtune Team

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

As I said... my hands were itching.... so I have the ECT 100% working since last night :D The only thing I can offer you Nate, are the specs of the signals.

ge0ne
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by ge0ne »

So no one will be making one and sell???
Regards, George Nerantzis diasiq eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: All over Greece

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

I'm not sure yet. Modifry and Mark Lamond also offer converter services. My convertor does not have as much functionality as the one of modifry and Mark. I'll think about it, but at this moment I'm not planning any production or service activities. But I'm still willing to provide all the specs of the ECT and VSS signals.

HRTuning

Post by HRTuning »

Production of something like this would be fairly easy.

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

True. Production is simple. But it's not only the production. If I sell something I also need to provide some sort of support and aftersales. I don't have the time to awnser questions over and over again.

HiProfile

Post by HiProfile »

Thats why you sell the information only. (or post it plainly if you're not greedy like us :lol: ) The key is to cover all your bases, make it a DIY deal, and tell them how it is - no support. THe ones who get it will make units for those who don't. Thats how the world usually works.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Orthello; I am interested; I would love to put an S2k cluster in my EJ1, and my father is an electrical engineer for Cisco systems... so I can probably get a board and well sourced components easily =) When I get a cluster and get boards etched I will provide the specs/schematics/.brd open source if you wish ;) My email is: my username (at) gmail. com
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

Well... Let's go with the signal specs... VSS and ECT are both 0~5v digital signals. High is 5v, low is 0 volt. S2000 VSS is 39 times faster then the older VSS signals. So take a upic or AVR. Use a timer and an external interrupt to measure the pulse width of the incomming pulses. Then devide the measured pulsewidth by 39 and us that to produce a new pulse output to the S2000 VSS input with the internal PWM module set at 50% duty cycle and the desired frequency. Use the internal PWM module. This saves you procesor time, as it keeps working on the background and the best part of that... it gives a very stable reading on the gauge. Don't forget to program something for the first and the last (stop the PWM) incoming pulse! ECT is a PWM-ish signal. The 'high' part of the pulse is always 30ms. The low part changes with the temperature. ALWAYS use the ECT signal which is provided to the ECU. Don't use the signal of the original gauge. That signal is just an indicator and not accurate enough the drive 'inteligent' electronics!! I created a table with transistion points for the 7 segment AP1 ECT gauge. Unfortunatly I don't have an AP2, so I don't know the transistion points of that one. Use an upic or AVR with an ADC module. Measure the analoge voltage of the ECT sensor. create a lookup table to decide how many segments should be lit. And produce the desired signal based on that table (see below) During development I worked with a 16F877A upic. For the real converter I decided to have the ECT and VSS work independant from eachother. There are a few reasons for that. 1) it keeps the programes simple and small (less then 50 lines of code) 2) a big 40 pins upic is a real overkill for this simple job and... because I'm from Holland.... :D 3) it's cheaper the have two small upics instead of a big one For VSS I use the 16F628A. This is a dip18 upic with a PWM module and external interrupts (RB0) For ECT I use the 12F675. This is a dip8 upic with an ADC inside These two together are cheaper and smaller then the big big big 16F877A. But the big mamma is very handy for development though.

Code: Select all

high, low  1 bar &#40;always on&#41;    30ms, 1197ms  2 bars    30ms, 1034ms  3 bars    30ms, 553ms  4 bars    30ms, 368ms  5 bars    30ms, 274ms  6 bars    30ms, 182ms  7 bars &#40;red&#41; 
This is all you need to know about the signals. Now you need to decide for yourself which temperature should lit 2,3,4,5,6 or 7 segments. Hopefully this will help the DIY guys here ;) Blue: OEM S2000 segments Red : Modifry/Orthello S2000 segments Black: ECT temp (F) vs. voltage (V) Image

HRTuning

Post by HRTuning »

Thanks for the specs and info. 8) If Jared is going to put this out, then I won't worry about doing it, but it seems like something more and more people need. I'll keep my eye on what happens here.

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

Feel free to do a PayPal donation to ronald[at]ronsoft[dot]nl 8)

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Orthello wrote:Feel free to do a PayPal donation to ronald[at]ronsoft[dot]nl 8)
As soon as I got cash in hand, expect a payment and PM :D Up untill this point everyone who has done the legwork has not shared... About a year ago I gave up and never bought my S2k cluster cause of this.

ge0ne
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by ge0ne »

I want a module for the S2K cluster to work in EG and i don't care about support, as long as i have the converter in hand i can work all the problems out myself... It is for my car not a customers.... So i am free to experiment...
Regards, George Nerantzis diasiq eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: All over Greece

nate
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by nate »

ge0ne wrote:I want a module for the S2K cluster to work in EG and i don't care about support, as long as i have the converter in hand i can work all the problems out myself... It is for my car not a customers.... So i am free to experiment...
Same here
eCtune Team

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Well; I will probably be able to come up with some sort of SMT board and solution... need to get a cluster first then away I go ;)