Car dies at 100% throttle? Anyone seen this before?

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

sohcd16y8
http://phpbb3styles.net

Car dies at 100% throttle? Anyone seen this before?

Post by sohcd16y8 »

I was tuning a car this weekend with one of those \"other\" systems (not eCtune) and came across a realyl odd issues when tuning WOT. For whatever reason, when the owner went to 100% tps the car just shut off. Wideband went lean, car just stopped. It was super violent, just like the injectors and ignition just turned off. If he went to 95% throttle it would do a whole pull fine, good afr's etc. It didnt matter if this happened at full boost, high rpm, idle, whatever, when the car saw 100% tps it just died. Tried replacing the tps with a known good one, claibrated, etc and it does the same thing. Has anyone seen this before? Have any idea? Didnt throw a code at anypoint either. OBD-0 to OBD-1 converted car. Stock Ls turbo in an EF. The car did act a bit odd though, he had an aftermarket crank pulley that didnt have the nromal timing marks on it. Im pretty sure it was TDC and 16 BTDC but for whatever reason with adjusting the dizzy I couldnt hit either mark. We decided to just \"center\" it the best as possible and work with the plugs to get timing right. (I know, not a great idea but the customer drove 3 hours to get to me and no stock crank pulley was to be found). At first I got pretty bad pops out of the exhuast like too little timing, added some, got better, added, added, etc and everytime fresh plugs were checked they showed WAYY to little timing. It got to the point that at 10psi a had 24.5 degrees of timing in it and it was still missing out/plugs showed not DET/ and timing mark was WAYYY high on the strap. I told him that it was just getting to out of hand, and he had to get a crank pulley on there to try and figure things out with that. Any ideas on this issues either? I dont think they are related, but I have never had either of these problems before. Thanks guys.

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

if you can't get a good time on the crank pulley, you can always shoot the cam gears, just line up the marks with the light..
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

sohcd16y8

Post by sohcd16y8 »

Bugermass wrote:if you can't get a good time on the crank pulley, you can always shoot the cam gears, just line up the marks with the light..
Great Idea, never thought of this before. So your saying set the map to 0 degrees, then match the cam marks with the light im assuming? I will have to try this next time. Any ideas about the TPS issues?

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

Can you read the tps in the software? If the tps is not connected right, and 2 wires are mixed up, it can short circuit the ecu 5 volt at 100% tps. Maybe thats giving the problems.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

sohcd16y8

Post by sohcd16y8 »

I cannot read the tps in the software (which would make this wayyyyy easier). The owner is actually looking into the wiring now. He actually had two conversion harnesses in the car at once, spliced together. I know he said when he was checking the voltage it didnt act quite right. I will have to ask him what the known good one is reading, maybe in all the wiring mess two wires got switched.

Garrett
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Garrett »

which software are you using?
eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Riviere-du-Loup, Quebec, Canada www.precisionautocanada.com

sohcd16y8

Post by sohcd16y8 »

Crome reg, no datalogging.

Garrett
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Garrett »

use a voltmeter on the tps ECU input signal
eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Riviere-du-Loup, Quebec, Canada www.precisionautocanada.com

sohcd16y8

Post by sohcd16y8 »

I have already instructed the owner to do so, we will see what results he gets.

pom_vr2

Post by pom_vr2 »

sohcd16y8 wrote:I have already instructed the owner to do so, we will see what results he gets.
TPS went over 100% . 100% From this problem. I have ever happened on my customer car.

Boosted K20

Post by Boosted K20 »

In crome (assuming you are running GOLD or have the timing fix script incorporated into you tune) if you zero out the timing in the idle parts of the map wil lthe actual timing at the output be zero degrees? I know eCtune has that extra VERY helpful part of the program where u can lock the base timing to anything you want. I would think that maybe crome might have some other corrections???

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

crome is gay, upgrade....
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

elevation

Post by elevation »

Your MAP sensor cant see ?