E85 and Honda engines

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Wazzzup
http://phpbb3styles.net

E85 and Honda engines

Post by Wazzzup »

I did a little research about E85 fuel. But I was wondering if there need to be changes to the fuelsystem or to the engine. Because I read that the fuel is more aggressive than normal fuel.
EG H22A 1/4 mile 13.6 sec @ Drachten with eCtune

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

Seti (Bas) is driving E85 for a while now I thought. EDIT: Or I am confused with E10. I can remember is was $%^#$% cheap.

sohcd16y8

Post by sohcd16y8 »

I have quite a few cars running around that run on e85 with no problems, many over the 2 year mark now. You do not need to change anything. E85 is NOT aggressive by any means, this is an internet myth that has built up over time as people got confused with straight ethanol and methanol. Even the cheapo 99 cent a foot gas line is rated for e85 use. I believe the SAE standard is j30r7, and this has been met or exceeded by manufacturers for many years. The only time you run into any issue is with raw aluminum it can have a slight reaction, however OEM tanks are steel, lines steel, and the rubber meets spec. Basically, you are fine, just fill up the tank and tune for it.

Civicman86

Post by Civicman86 »

Do you need larger injectors than you would with a standard gasoline engine, or is this a myth as well? If I remember corectly ethanol stioch is like ~9:1 so I would think you would have to flow alot more fluid to match ratios (9:1 vs. 14.7:1).
-Dustin '98 Honda Civic 1.6t SOHC

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

yes you need larger injectors, and fuel pump.
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

Civicman86

Post by Civicman86 »

Bugermass wrote:yes you need larger injectors, and fuel pump.
Alright, I guess sohcd16y8 is saying everything but those two components will be fine for ethanol use.
-Dustin '98 Honda Civic 1.6t SOHC

cbustuner

Post by cbustuner »

Any thoughts to what spark plugs work best for e85 on boosted and N/A applications? or would you just use the same plugs you do with regular gas.

Synoptic
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Synoptic »

you may use less cold plugs, since e85 should burn colder
Synoptic Tuning Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

sohcd16y8

Post by sohcd16y8 »

Civicman86 wrote:
Bugermass wrote:yes you need larger injectors, and fuel pump.
Alright, I guess sohcd16y8 is saying everything but those two components will be fine for ethanol use.
Yeah, I thought he was talking about compatibility. Injectors and fuel pump are definitely needed for the extra fuel consumption.