AFR targets: Turbo vs. NA while pulling vacuum

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

98vtec
http://phpbb3styles.net

AFR targets: Turbo vs. NA while pulling vacuum

Post by 98vtec »

I'm curious to how everyone tunes their boosted setups while pulling vacuum. I dont see any reason why you cant run a target AFR like an NA motor on a boosted setup that is not creating boost. Can running mixtures like NA damage the turbo? I firmly believe that you can run a boosted motor like an NA motor as long as its pulling vacuum. Can anyone help confirm this for me? thanks
eCtune Authorized Tuner Blake Barr Pensacola, FL XXX Performance - In House DynoJet 850-457-DYNO

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

you can run NA AF mixtures in vacuum columns if you want. A lot of stock factory boosted cars run very lean mixtures at wot also, just for fuel economy. Only the high performance applications need to run richer. If you eez up a bit with timing you can run quit high AF numbers if you want without damaging your engine. I advise to check your plugs a lot when tuning like that thou....
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

I run NA afr into boost
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

Frank... how lean is lean? I'm driving 100% open loop for a while now and like it a lot. (still N/A) But... now it's getting colder I see AFR are rising a bit. It's not much higher then 15.0:1 yet, but it will get past 15.5 maybe 16.0 when it gets really cold. What is the absolute minimum AFR while cruising a steady speed of say 140 km/u? With medium and maximum load it's still around 13.0 to 13.5 so now worry there. Only the cruising part.

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

its ok to run leaner, in vac areas up to WOT reguardless if your turbo or not. If yoru AFRS are leaning with colder temps, you may want to adjust your IAT fuel tables to compensate for this. High 15s are ok, but 16-17 I think may be a bit too lean.. EDIT: I wouldn't do it with high compression engines, like 11.0 and up..
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

98vtec

Post by 98vtec »

thanks guys
eCtune Authorized Tuner Blake Barr Pensacola, FL XXX Performance - In House DynoJet 850-457-DYNO

butch11a

Post by butch11a »

what a/f do you guys usually run at, say at 1.2bar full boost, mine is at 11.6 to 11.8 range on pump gas, was thinking of trying low 12's. my other car was running on high 12's to 13 a/f and it feels a bit stronger, but thats on a toyota with a steel block, don't know if my honda can handle lean mixtures under full boost...
New to eCtune, and still a lot to learn.....

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

on pump gas I ususally stay in the 11.50 range for safety. You can run into the 12s and 90% of the time it'll be just fine, but I just like to have that extra cusion on stock pistons and pump gas.
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

Almighty-Si

Post by Almighty-Si »

My A/F at highway speeds (65-75mph) is 14.2-13.9. Coming back to NY from my trip to North Carolina this passed summer I went 303 miles at just under a half a tank of gas. Had to stop to use the facilities and eat so thought might as well fill up and it took 7.1 gallons to fill the tank again. Calculating it when I got home, it equalled something like 42mpg :D Pretty sweet, the only thing though, my EGT was a bit high...1300-1325 F, so if you're going to tune for gas mileage watch those. I'm going to get out on the highway with a friend and see if I can lower that a bit.