PLX wideband feedback

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

james25
http://phpbb3styles.net

PLX wideband feedback

Post by james25 »

Any of you guys using PLX SM-AFR wideband O2? pretty easy to wire? user friendly? I think my tuning buddy (Innovate LC-1) for 6years died. I did multiple free-air, heater calibration, and programming and I'm not getting any output or correct reading from my wideband gauge. Constant 34.5 :? even replaced the O2 sensor and nothing. eCtune is logging \"an\" afr reading of 19.9 but it doesn't respond when I change the fuel table at idle. Maybe analog 2 is dead? I have to run more tests tomorrow before I condemn the lc 1 unit dead. I just spent 6hours trying to figure out what happened. Right now I'm leaning towards a PLX unit.

David974

Post by David974 »

sometime Innovate products sucks, i was disapointed but the big stuff is the serial connection to ectune and avoid you the voltage offsets and save a lot save time i've just bought DIY Tech Edge I hope Calvin will code a program to have serial connection to these other wide band Calvin please

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

in my opinion the PLX stuff is better than innovate. and yes its wiring is very simple. Great stuff. I used to have a M500 with wireless logging..
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

Almighty-Si

Post by Almighty-Si »

I have a PLX in my car, can't say anything negative about it. It's been working flawless for me daily for the passed 4 years.

98vtec

Post by 98vtec »

the old plx m300 display box was a piece of junk IMO. When I first installed the system on my buddies hatch, the screen fell out...lol it did read pretty quickly tho and appeared to be pretty accurate.
eCtune Authorized Tuner Blake Barr Pensacola, FL XXX Performance - In House DynoJet 850-457-DYNO

james25

Post by james25 »

Well, I did more testing today. Got about an hour worth of cursing when it finally totally died. No red light from the led and LM Programmer just kept on searching for the device, no connection at all with the lc 1 controller. I'm not going to bother even checking my wiring because I had the same wiring for 6yrs and it worked flawlessly. I do like the LC-1's serial connection through ectune, that was a big plus. I'm officially widebandless :lol: it's a good thing I'm somewhat tuned. I have my eye out for this unit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PLX-DM-5 ... 0296058662

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

A buddy of mine (who is used to Innovate) recently assisted someone with a PLX unit in the car. He reported that AFR´s were all over the place, inconsistent between runs. So basically he hated it badly. /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

james25

Post by james25 »

Hmm...I just read a bunch of info on AEM's wideband unit that comes with the gauge. Seems to be a pretty good unit, I think I am going with the AEM wbo2.

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

I wouldn't buy the AEM.. In my opinion they are the worst of the bunch. In order best to worst: Motec PLM FJO PLX NGK Innovate AEM I've used the Motec, Innovate, PLX, FJO and AEM.. I havn't used the NGK, but I've heard from friends that do that its a good unit.

calvin

Post by calvin »

dont use AEM. i have m250 with gauge in my car still running good after 5 years with no offset never replaced sensor
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

Gaskleppie

Post by Gaskleppie »

Yeah, the plx is very good in durability but is it accurate? Tests says it is not always.... I have seen 2 plx widebands which were 0.3 AF off!! Thats a bit too much for me. I like the innovate for its accuracy and serial connection. It can be a pain in the ass when you want to use the 0-5volt output but besides that or if you dont use that anyway its a very accurate device. And ok, when it detects something is not ok, it gives errors. But I see that as a good thing.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

james25

Post by james25 »

I'm still researching a good wbo2. Read an article about a \"wideband shootout\" with different manufactures of wideband units , seems like after the test they favored the Innovate system. It's been a while that I visted Innovates forum and geezz almost all the threads on the LC-1 are problems.

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

It´s easy to find a good wideband. The problem is this: Most customers only want to pay for the cheapest product available to them. Sad but true. I´m still sticking to my guns, eh, Tech Edge that is. :) For example the 3E2... Universal LSU4.0/4.2/4.9/NTK support, built in display for convenience, a working differential analog out (hence, no ground problems), and yes - an FTDI USB serial port (perfect because we all have FTDI comms drivers installed already). Simpler/cheaper models available too but prices are still a bit higher than Innovate for example. Probably mostly because of the exchange rate, though. /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

HiProfile

Post by HiProfile »

So far my LC-1 hasn't given my any problems. I actually have it installed into a radioshack project box with all the switches/ports & works fine with a modded PLX extension cable. I also like the fact I can log many other sensors with my SSI-4 - I can tune virtually any car, MPFI or carb'd. I used to have the M300, but some a**hole decided to steal the control box from my car. I liked the m300 due to it being compact, but I really like the LC-1 because of the O-meter I'm using. I have the display on a suction-cup bracket right above the steering wheel on the windsheild. AFAIK the M300's output isn't linear like the LC-1 and (maybe) PLX's SM-AFR. The SM-AFR looks nice in respect to size, analog-out, and longer cables, but its more expensive, obviously won't work via serial input, and no way to reprogram analog-outs.

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

I\"m on my third innovate box in 1.5 yr.. The only reason I havn't bought a different wideband yet is cause the serial support makes it worth my while to deal with it for now. but I have to keep a spare box handy just incase at all times. That wideband shootout was a sham.. Theres a bunhc of posts around on the forums that explain why that shootout was not a good test. When it comes down to it they all work. Some last longer than others, some have less weirdnesses that you have to deal with.. The innovate works, but its got its share of problems to be delt with. If you want somthing simple and easy, the PLX is the way to go.. You just plug it in and go.. No crazy wiring no calibration, just plug and go.. Simple.. The AEM is like that too, BUT in general its muich less acurate than any of the other WBs. I\"ve seen some AEMs be dead on and I've seen a bunch of them be way off. So thats why the PLX gets my vote.. SImplicity, reliability, acuracy, and ease of use.