Jumpy AFR at idle

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

borat
http://phpbb3styles.net

Jumpy AFR at idle

Post by borat »

Recently my AFR has been jumping from the usual 14-15 range to the 17-18 range every few seconds, and sometimes dipping to 12-13. I haven't touched the .cal in almost 9 months. I haven't adjusted my valves since... ever. I figure it's about time, since I'm at 75k miles now. Any other ideas as to what's going on? Edit: setup 99 prelude base 5spd JRSC ~7 psi

jacer63

Post by jacer63 »

weather change maybe? mine seemed to that when the temps started going down.

xenocron
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by xenocron »

75k miles in 9 months? Whoa....
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

sohcd16y8

Post by sohcd16y8 »

I think he means 75k in the life of the car.

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

jacer63 wrote:weather change maybe? mine seemed to that when the temps started going down.
That's what I exerience too. Temps are going down.. AFR is going up (running full open loop)

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

My AF is not going up even when it is colder. I am running the IAT sensor in the intake tubes, not the regular sensor in the manifold. maybe thats the difference. I run the stock IAT compensation tables... question, are you running open or closed loop?
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

borat

Post by borat »

I was running closed loop, so I disabled it to check. Still does the same thing. I should just adjust the valves to see what happens since it needs it anyway, it's gotten pretty noisy. Not that I can hear anything over the nose of the charger rattling like crazy, that also needs a rebuild.
99 Prelude Base 5spd JRSC ~7 psi

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

Just make a datalog and observe all measurments and corrections. Maybe the ECT is higher than normal, maybe the bat voltage is jumping, things like that.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

Gaskleppie wrote:My AF is not going up even when it is colder. I am running the IAT sensor in the intake tubes, not the regular sensor in the manifold. maybe thats the difference. I run the stock IAT compensation tables... question, are you running open or closed loop?
hmm... intresting.

butch11a

Post by butch11a »

could be the battery voltage, mine changes a/f when the fan starts, i'm using larger fans which seems to draw a large current suddenly, then the a/f levels off....
New to eCtune, and still a lot to learn.....

CRX2

Post by CRX2 »

When all correction table are correct, the AFR should not change much... IAT. Look while datalogging at your ECT and BATT correction tables? When the AF changes it could be caused by one of these tables...