Mitsubishi Colt (mivec) with honda ecu

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

fah
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

Mitsubishi Colt (mivec) with honda ecu

Post by fah »

Saturday I was suppose to tune a 1998 Mitsubishi Colt with a 2 litre stock 4G94 bottom half, with a 4G61 mivec head from the 1.6 litre, and turbo charged. Running 10psi. Using haltec E6, however the car had some issues which we though were tuning related and hope to have them sorted out. It turned out that there was a problem with the haltec and it eventually left us stranded and car untuned. We needed a replacement engine management and the owner wanted to replace the haltec as he was not satisfied with it. I persuaded the owner to let us try converting the car to use a honda ecu and eCtune and he gave us the go ahead. Saturday night we size up exactly how we were going to mount the distributor and got an adapter bushing made up the same night. The owner has access to a lathe. Sunday morning the Haltec E6 was removed and car rewired to use honda ecu. Factory ECT, IAT and TPS sensors were reused along with a GM 3bar MAP, the VSS was defective and is in the process of being sourced for replacement. Distributor was mounted and BAM engine started with no issues. The wire loom was secured and the car taken on the road for a ruff street tune to make the driveable so that we could take it to the dyno later this week. The owner is very satisfied and likes the smoothness of the car so far. The stock rods of the 4G94 bottom half are very thin and resembles that of the honda D16, so the onwer says he is currently looking for 280whp until he gets the engine built. Aiming to take the car to the dyno friday night.
Regards, Marlon Chong eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Jamaica/Australia chong_marlon(at)yahoo.com (876)-881-8164 JA (61)-4-0275-3611 AUS

fah

Post by fah »

pics
Attachments
Engine bay being wired up
Engine bay being wired up
DSC00062.JPG (69.19 KiB) Viewed 8700 times
distributor mounted
distributor mounted
DSC00065.JPG (101.14 KiB) Viewed 8700 times
Regards, Marlon Chong eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Jamaica/Australia chong_marlon(at)yahoo.com (876)-881-8164 JA (61)-4-0275-3611 AUS

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

goooo bro!!!!!
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

Cool! i like these kinds of ecu swaps!
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

butch11a

Post by butch11a »

i'm doing something similar to that but on a toyota 4a-gze turbo and i'm wondering if you inverted the tdc trigger wheel and the cam position sensor since the dizzy will be turning in the opposite direction....
New to eCtune, and still a lot to learn.....

fah

Post by fah »

butch11a wrote:i'm doing something similar to that but on a toyota 4a-gze turbo and i'm wondering if you inverted the tdc trigger wheel and the cam position sensor since the dizzy will be turning in the opposite direction....
nope just spun it backwards

xenocron

Post by xenocron »

Cant wait to see those maps :)
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

HiProfile

Post by HiProfile »

It would seem that with a little more (albeit extensive) tweaking, eCtune could make the Honda ecu into the multi-platform ecu like an AEM box. I'll admit this would be kinda crappy for us - ecu prices would skyrocket. Good job, can't wait to see the finished dyno graph, and especially the eventual built setup.

fah

Post by fah »

pic of what the 4G94 stock rod (left) looks like compare to D16 rod (right)
Attachments
4G94  rod vs d16 rod
4G94 rod vs d16 rod
DSC00070.JPG (78.59 KiB) Viewed 8619 times

fah

Post by fah »

forgot to mention that the MIVEC has high and low cam just like the honda's vtec :twisted: sound the same too :D .... two more days till dyno time :twisted:

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

OMFG.. look at that bore to stroke ratio... no wonder those 4GXX engines have inherent issues =) Pretty nice work though!
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

HsamehH

Post by HsamehH »

i was just thinking about doing same honda ecu setup for a friend 4g92 turbo car :),but what about the ignition system is it hard to do it and rewire ?

nate

Post by nate »

Good job... I love seeing stuff like this!
eCtune Team

HsamehH

Post by HsamehH »

what is needed to do this ecu swap ? p28-p30 IAT ECT MAP TPS connecting the stock mivec selenoid and oil pressure switch injectors wiring power up the ecu with ground and 12v is that what is only needed ? :)

xenocron

Post by xenocron »

Need a distributor to send the correct signals to the ECU as well.
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...