Aluminum cleaners

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

james25
http://phpbb3styles.net

Aluminum cleaners

Post by james25 »

Do you guys know any liquid product that cleans heavy grime/oxidation from a bare aluminum? like trans case and engine blocks. Using sandpaper and a wire brush manually sucks. I can't find any at my local parts stores. I want to be able to just spray some cleaner, let it sit for a couple of mins, then rinse.

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

they make ultrasonic cleaners that you can put heads and block and other large parts in.. They clean like new.
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

butch11a

Post by butch11a »

try using some phosporic acid based cleaners, its what i use before welding aluminum...
New to eCtune, and still a lot to learn.....

lilpooh21186

Post by lilpooh21186 »

if you can find a heavy duty degreaser it works great thats what i use from my work we have bags its like a 1part degreaser to 50 parts water this stuff is beyond consentrated. Burns to the touch without gloves or dilution its made by kay cleansing products. Or you can get some aircraft paintremover.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

The BEST thing that I ever found to clean blocks: I used it to clean this block to ass you see in the pic below: Image Image Image Image I used 1 gallon of turpentine (paint thinner) mixed with one quart of acetone. put the engine in a nice large catch pan... and use a paint brush... don't do any work.. just brush starting around the top, and slowly work your way down.... the block comes SHINY clean with ZERO effort... just dip the brush, and slop it on. That's it. Cheap, and EFFECTIVE!
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

butch11a

Post by butch11a »

nice, will try it, is turpentine the same as kerosene? i'm not sure if its readily available from where i'm at.
New to eCtune, and still a lot to learn.....

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

AKA \"paint thinner\" should be easily available... Kerosene will work; but will evaporate faster, and be much more prone to catching fire ;)

james25

Post by james25 »

Nice! turpentine and acetone I can find at home depot. I'll give it a shot. It cleans oxidation too?

Almighty-Si

Post by Almighty-Si »

Simple Green works well, not as well as some of the other things listed above but I have done it a few times and it looked almost new.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

james25 wrote:Nice! turpentine and acetone I can find at home depot. I'll give it a shot. It cleans oxidation too?
Maybe... I don't see why not.... cause this motor I got was in a barn for a few years before I bought it and cleaned it like this... I was out of spray cleaners (which are mainly acetone and xylene, which are more expensive and I ran out) so I tried the acetone I had.. and was amazed.... there was no oxidation to be found after the simple cleaning... maybe a toothbrush, but I dunno if you need to work tat hard honestly =)

xenocron
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by xenocron »

If you are using ACETONE, make sure you were GLOVES (that can handle how corrosive that shit is) and dont get any on your skin.
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

xenocron wrote:If you are using ACETONE, make sure you were GLOVES (that can handle how corrosive that shit is) and dont get any on your skin.
correct; I use the nice blue gloves from the snap-on truck.. not snap-on brand, but the good ones (can't remember brand, but I can use the same set of gloves for about 3 weeks)

greasemonkee

Post by greasemonkee »

Hope you guys are wearing thick gloves that acetone can't penetrate. Gloves in general open the pores in the skin making it easier for the solvent to get in the blood. Eyes can absorb a lot of vapor too. I'd certainly wear a good charcoal respirator if I used that. Castrol superclean would make the block look new, just with a lot of these harsh chemicals, they promote corrosion and the chemicals won't ever come out no matter how hard you wash.

james25

Post by james25 »

We have a barrel of Castrol Superclean at work, I took some home to clean a valve cover once. Big mistake I made, I let the cleaner sit too long on the valve cover and when I rinsed and brushed it, it left dark spots on the valve cover that wouldn't come off. Ended up painting the valve cover.