Anyone used Eagle Cranks?

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

hackish
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

Anyone used Eagle Cranks?

Post by hackish »

I'm rebuilding a dart block. The oil pump exploded on the dyno (at only 486whp). Unfortunately it fucked up the crank. I proposed to the client that maybe we should put in an Eagle crank. Then I asked around and a few people have said that they're not even as good as the OEM honda cranks. I've never really had a problem with an OE crankshaft but I wonder if these eagle parts are as bad as some people make them out to be or if they're just a bunch of internet parrots repeating one person's bad experience? -Michael
eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada

xenocron

Post by xenocron »

Like anything else, I think its how its built and checked.
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

hackish

Post by hackish »

Just found that scat makes cranks too. A lot of engine builders seem to find them more consistant than the eagle products. I may opt for that one instead. -Michael

EITCP

Post by EITCP »

why not using OEM used crank? For which car are you looking for? usually cranks are from $50 to $150, depends on aplication. Is it relly worth to go for new eagle for $600 or even more???
---------------------------------- TUNERC team eCtune Authorised Tuner for Slovenia Passed ACP course at EFI University in Temecula, CA, November 07

HiProfile

Post by HiProfile »

Golden Eagle sells polished LS craqnks for $100 shipped, good deal IMO. Honda has some of the best parts quality among all auto makes, so its hard to beat. People claim the stockers are twist-forged steel, as well as nitride coated (down .0010\"). BTW was the block ever align-honed? If the centerline changed at all, that means the gear is off center and will bind. That's what usually blows the oil pumps. The other leading cause, which some dismiss, is the undampened CTR pulley. IMO the best way to go is the 'superdeck' a B18, resleeve, and enjoy the better quality and money savings over Dart.

hackish

Post by hackish »

His failure was due to an underdrive pulley I never thought to check for. I didn't do the original build. I've seen this a good 1/2 dozen times. Replace with an OEM pulley it lasts for years. In his case he absolutely wants the best stuff available. -Michael

calvin
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by calvin »

i know a engine that make a lot of power with an eagle 92mm crank
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Caribbean & Suriname aim:calvinPGMFI skype:ectune We remote connect to your laptop if you have problems. Best support in the world.

HiProfile

Post by HiProfile »

If he wants to go all-out, get the Eagle, then have it checked for balance and all journals for roundness. I've heard some people claim theirs arrived out of spec (for a Honda crank), but they probably won't have as good of quality control vs a Japanese factory making literally millions of cranks.

hackish

Post by hackish »

I ended up ordering a scat from xenocron. It's american made so I hope it's better than something done in China. Will let you know when she's back together and on the dyno. -Michael

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

if he wants the best stuff he shoulda gone with an OEM crank..
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262