Broken Magnets

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

FreshDA9
http://phpbb3styles.net

Broken Magnets

Post by FreshDA9 »

well i have searched for this but Honda-Tech & google hasnt turned up any good info. well my buddy is having a big problem with his distributor he has now gone threw 2 OBD-0 B16a distributors both having the magnets shrapnel inside. its a stock B16a tuned with a password intake reving in 8-8.5rpm range. im asking for anyone who has had this same problem and what are the causes and the prevention of this. Thank you.

butch11a

Post by butch11a »

did he adjust the air gap between the rotor and pick-ups?
New to eCtune, and still a lot to learn.....

FreshDA9

Post by FreshDA9 »

i have no clue what your talking about and i bet he doesnt either so i will have to say no he didnt. can you give me more info about this? are you saying there is a certain gap to be between the rotar button and the 4 points such as a spark plug has to be gaped?

FreshDA9

Post by FreshDA9 »

Image this is dizzy # 2 the first one had only 3 or 4 magnets left on it this one only broke 1 but its still broke.

sohcd16y8

Post by sohcd16y8 »

Interesting.

elevation

Post by elevation »

Are they new or used? check the bearing and make shure it has no play side to side.
regards eCtune authorized tuner eCtune team Colorado Springs, CO- USA elevationauto.com

FreshDA9

Post by FreshDA9 »

both used he is the only person i know who has ever had this problem. ill check the bearings when i see him. thank you for your help. he has had the car for a little over 3 years with this setup except he got the tune almost a year ago. first dizzy did this about 6 months ago. we have had plenty of friends runing obd-0 b16a cars na and turbo never have this problem his car is a high 14sec and our buddys turbo car is a mid 12. we wont to sort this issue out before he goes obd-1 and buys a brand new distributor.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

only thjinkg I can think of is if he accidentally forced it in place 180'd off; that would cause the bearing to go out and that problem to happen....
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

FreshDA9

Post by FreshDA9 »

theres no way, he drove on the first 1 for over 3 years and this 1 for over 6 months. not unless the to tabs on the dizzy worn down and could fit in either way but im 100% that the dizzy went on with ease. he borrowed my buddys to get the car home ran fine still.

elevation

Post by elevation »

I replace honda distributors all the time usually because the tiny sealed bearing goes out at 150k to 200k. Which Im shure any obd0 origanal dizzy would have on it by now, they probly just wore out. You can take the bearing out of a newer distributor and rebuild it if you want.
regards eCtune authorized tuner eCtune team Colorado Springs, CO- USA elevationauto.com

FreshDA9

Post by FreshDA9 »

thanks for the info. ill look into it. would you know a part number i could look into from another vehicle. i worked for honda for 4 1/2 years you cant really buy any parts like tps sensor or starter rebuild kits but there was a write up somewhere for a starter rebuild they got the parts from toyota and rebuilt it for under $14. since most Japanese cars use the same manufactures for there parts.

FreshDA9

Post by FreshDA9 »

he called a local honda performance shop today and they have no clue how it has happened and are going to diagnose both dizzys for free since they are curious about this situation. hope to have some answers soon.