Electric cut out, good or bad??????????

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

thething96
http://phpbb3styles.net

Electric cut out, good or bad??????????

Post by thething96 »

Hey guys, my question is, does anybody here use electric cut out(or manual), and if you do, what would be the best application?

ACTION JACTION

Post by ACTION JACTION »

Whats your reasoning for wanting the cutout? What size turbo and exhaust are you running?

HiProfile

Post by HiProfile »

The best situation is a daily driver street car that HAS TO be quiet, running a decent amount of boost. Benifits are silence when you want, but helps with spool time & power once you're in boost. I have a 3\" turbo-back pipe that ends just before the 1st turn in my Civic. Just before the cutout, it tee's off to the stock 2\" exhaust & OEM \"quietflo3\" muffler. Its as quiet as any other stock Civic, except I can make it an open downpipe whenever I want. ATM Its configured to open automaticly at 75% throttle, as well with an override switch. Also uses the secondary maps so it doesn't lean out. A normal cutout won't gel with eCtune's GPO's like mine, FYI. http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq80 ... %20cutout/

5thgen

Post by 5thgen »

Is that a window regulator? I'm using a cruise control motor for mine. junkyard engineering :mrgreen:

danny

Post by danny »

im using an e-cutout...one of the best things i did to keep the car quite...

hackish
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by hackish »

I just build a nice 3\" exhaust with enough resonators and mufflers that I don't get bothered. I don't like e-cutouts. They are dangerous on a few levels and they're obnoxious. I've seen the undercoating catch fire on a car with a cutout and I do know it can be unsafe from the COx emissions inside the vehicle. Like deleting a cat I feel that the risks and damage to the environment outweigh the costs and 5hp gained. -Michael
eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada

HiProfile

Post by HiProfile »

Take a look at mine, it exhausts back far enough so no exhaust gets into the cabin. I do plan on getting a turndown on it, but I've only driven it a mile with it open. There is an 18\" resonator upstream of it. ATM it is deflected by the stock heatsheild, and exhaust is much cooler there than it is by the oil pan, enough for serious condensation. And yes its just a cheap 88-91 Civic winsheild wiper motor. FYI around here you get stopped if you can get stopped just for having a STOCK Civic. My old 3\" was quiet for a full 3\", and I got pulled over & ticketed the 1st day I drove it.

hackish

Post by hackish »

A lot of local laws stipulate that it must exit behind the rear bumper on a car. I've had a few American friends who have had their vehicles towed because it was deemed unsafe for this reason. Most of my cop friend have mentioned that they pull over young people with loud exhausts but leave people alone if they're driving around responsibly. I haven't been pulled over for 8 years on an exhaust problem even though my subarus were quite loud. -Michael

thething96

Post by thething96 »

Yeah, but unfortunately, cops around here are not that goodhearted. I've been pulled over for the most stupid of things. I do agree with the fact that polluting the environment for 5hp is not worth it, but then again we're in the performance business, extra pollution comes with the hobbie. I was thinking of using the cutout mainly on the track, not sure if it's worth it though.

HiProfile

Post by HiProfile »

5hp maybe if its a 4\" exhaust with no mufflers/cat that exits at the rear axle. For a car with a decent muffler, the gains are significant -- both power AND spool up. IIRC it was Tony1 who tuned a turbo ITR in the 300's with the stock exhaust. Simply unbolting the stock axle-back section's bolts resulted in a 20hp gain w/o tuning. In my area the law is similar for exhaust exit points, except cutouts can be present if they are ONLY used in off-road situations. They're actually more legal than practically all turbo kits here. As far as the exhaust itself, the law is very open-ended. It states that a car cannot have an exhaust modified to be louder than stock, although cops issue citations if its modified for ANY reason. In the USA as a whole and in my area in particular, cops LOVE giving tickets. My in-law is a cop, and he has definately confirmed this. The locals have nothing better to do. The problem with cutouts is the perception that it HAS TO BE put so close to the turbo -- before the cat and any muffler. Mine is a foot from the rear axle centerline, after a big fat resonator. Its quieter than a stock Civic when its closed, and wouldn't harm the environment when open even if I did use a cat.

hackish

Post by hackish »

Stock exhaust and 20hp on a 300whp car? No shit. I put down 291whp with a stock DX exhaust then did a full 3\" exhaust and put down 319. This on an H22 GT35R. However, same car put down 316 with a 2.5\" exhaust. No real difference. Still had a 3\" downpipe and cat though. -Michael

thething96

Post by thething96 »

Over here in Illinois, emissions on OBDII vehicles is very simple. No visual checks, just plug, read, and that's it. I imagine that other places more strict would do an under car carriage inspection. I would assume that a cutout replacing the cat would be a penalty, wouldn't it?