HEEEEEELP!!!!!! engine failure???

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

thething96
http://phpbb3styles.net

HEEEEEELP!!!!!! engine failure???

Post by thething96 »

So i just bought a integra typ r swap. Turn the car on, idles fine at first. All of a sudden a whole bunch of white smoke comes out. The guy who sold me the engine said it was because he had the engine laying on its side, could that be true? Thanks.

xenocron
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by xenocron »

Leak Down and Compression test numbers?
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

sohcd16y8

Post by sohcd16y8 »

xenocron wrote:Leak Down and Compression test numbers?
Agreed, Definitely start there.

thething96

Post by thething96 »

Well im going to do that in a bit, but the previous owner of the engine told me that all that happened is that he had left the engine laying on its side for a while, and that's the only reason the engine is leaking oil, for me to let it burn it off and it will be ok. I'm not an expert, but i've done my number of swaps, and i have never had this happen. Could it be true?

non-vtec

Post by non-vtec »

if you rest the engine on its side oil could slip passed the rings and into the chambers. it would cause some smoking for a while but should go away eventually.

thething96

Post by thething96 »

I checked compression, its good but in a matter of 20 minutes, the thing leaked 1.5 quarts of oil through the muffler, so its not from the engine laying on its side. Thinking its either head gasket, valve seals, or oil control rings, what do you guys think?

xenocron

Post by xenocron »

thething96 wrote:I checked compression, its good but in a matter of 20 minutes, the thing leaked 1.5 quarts of oil through the muffler, so its not from the engine laying on its side. Thinking its either head gasket, valve seals, or oil control rings, what do you guys think?
If compression is good, you can rule out the headgasket & rings.
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

non-vtec

Post by non-vtec »

xenocron wrote: If compression is good, you can rule out the headgasket & rings.
not true. you can have good compression but still have bad oil control rings. to the OP. pull the cylinder head off and start looking for something out of the ordinary. or just pull the engine out and drop it on the hood of the car that belongs to the asswipe who sold it to you.

sohcd16y8

Post by sohcd16y8 »

leakdown

xenocron

Post by xenocron »

non-vtec wrote:
xenocron wrote: If compression is good, you can rule out the headgasket & rings.
not true. you can have good compression but still have bad oil control rings. to the OP. pull the cylinder head off and start looking for something out of the ordinary. or just pull the engine out and drop it on the hood of the car that belongs to the asswipe who sold it to you.
He isnt going to push over a quart of oil past the rings and NOT have weird results with a comp test. He does need to do a leak down... OP, at this point, get your money back or take it to a mechanic...

thething96

Post by thething96 »

Asides from the oil control rings, head gasket, and valve seals, what else would cause this much oil to leak? From what I know, if the head is cracked, most likely it would leak coolant. As to why I haven't returned the engine, funny story, I bought the engine Tuesday the 17th. I called the guy from a craigslist add. I get the engine. Drop it in on Friday night by 3 a.m. I go out Saturday with the family to Chicago for dinner, and my phone gets stolen. So I don't have the guys number till next month when the new phone bill arrives. I was supposed to sell my gsr swap on Sunday, but with no phone, buyer got pissed and didn't come. OUCH!!

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

I had a crack in the head in the spark plug tubes... the 2 center tubes seeped oil slowly.... thought it was the gasket till I saw the hairline carck/shelf inside... cracks can lerk in the most abnormal of places...
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

g.t engineering

Post by g.t engineering »

maybe the oil rings seized or the cylinder bore is damaged

thething96

Post by thething96 »

I thought about the cylinder walls being scratched bad, but the compression was good. And this thing leaked a quart and a half in less than thirty minutes of idling. Don't know if that is cylinder related.

non-vtec

Post by non-vtec »

is this motor stock n/a or turbo? if its turbo perhaps oil is leaking into the exhaust from bad turbo seals?