HEEEEEELP!!!!!! engine failure???

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

thething96
http://phpbb3styles.net

Post by thething96 »

The engine is n/a for now. As far as I know, it's never been boosted. I think I'm going to rebuild it, might as well. As soon as the engine is out, I'll post what I find. Hopefully this topic will help out my fellow Honda brothers from other mothers.

thething96

Post by thething96 »

Well, the engine is all apart. Long behold, the effin oil control rings were the culprits here. Head gasket was good, pistons were good(pistons had a black coating on them, I've seen other type r pistons, but never with this type of coating). New pistons are going in, new belt and water pump as well. I thought the engine was going to be a p.o.s, but internally everything looks good, very good. Thanks everyone for their feedback, hopefully in the future, someone will use this post in their time of need.

g.t engineering

Post by g.t engineering »

maybe the oil rings seized or the cylinder bore is damaged
now you can send me those old piston for my good advice . :lol: :lol: :lol:

thething96

Post by thething96 »

I still don't know what the black coating is on them, but who knows.

ge0ne
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by ge0ne »

Post a picture of them... It is not the usual ITR piston coating?
Regards, George Nerantzis diasiq eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: All over Greece

thething96

Post by thething96 »

YASSUUUUU!!!

thething96

Post by thething96 »

I will post a picture of the pistons soon, but I've done a couple of type r builds with friends and none of their pistons were coated black(usdm engines).

thething96

Post by thething96 »

OK, I was done with putting the engine back together. Last time the engine was burning oil it was from the oil control rings. The head was pressure tested an all, new valve seals, no valve job(valves were good). We started the engine, AND ITS STILL BURNING F***ING OIL!!!!!!! New cp pistons and rings were installed, so what the hell is doing this, any thoughts of ideas??

Adam Hopkins

Post by Adam Hopkins »

Oil still in the exhaust?
Regards, Adam Hopkins eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Murfreesboro, Tn, USA

thething96

Post by thething96 »

Yeah, it was burning a lot, looked like a smoke machine on wheels. We took the header off and for some reason, cylinders 2,3, and specially 4 had oil. Did a compression check and it had 220 psi all the way(on stock type r compression).

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

one time a friend of mine accidently hookedup the PCV line directly to a port on the manifold and it was sucking up oil into the motor while it was in vaccum.. we pulled the head once for new vavle seals, and we pulled the pistons once for new rings.. He was always the one to take it apart and put it back together so I never noticed the vac line.. Finally one day I was like wtf and started looking at everything.. I found the vac line hooked up to a port in the back/bottom on the manifold and that had been the problem the whole time lol..
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

thething96

Post by thething96 »

mmhhhhhh... My car is originally a 99 gsr and we just dropped in a 98 type r. I noticed that the gsr engine had more connections and sensors than the type r. I'm currently hooking up the pcv valve hose directly to the top plug on the manifold, and now I have nothing plugged to the canister(under by the battery) Could that be it?

thething96

Post by thething96 »

AT LAST!!!! Long behold, the pcv valve just made me its b1tch. It was the freacking valve that took a dump and started suckinh a whole bunch of oil. Thank you guys for the info, it all helped and just made my life much easier. For anybody reading this thread and having the same issue, read all the posts and it will help you a bunch. My car is now running like a champ, thanks again.

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

hahahah, damn I just had this feeling lol. . . Glad you got it sorted out ..
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

xenocron

Post by xenocron »

thething96 wrote:AT LAST!!!! Long behold, the pcv valve just made me its b1tch. It was the freacking valve that took a dump and started suckinh a whole bunch of oil. Thank you guys for the info, it all helped and just made my life much easier. For anybody reading this thread and having the same issue, read all the posts and it will help you a bunch. My car is now running like a champ, thanks again.
so might this have been the same issue before you popped the head off?
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...