How to tune timing without dyno

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

ckretvix
http://phpbb3styles.net

How to tune timing without dyno

Post by ckretvix »

Looking to learn how to do timing as best as possible without a dyno. I've heard that you can go to the track, and add timing until trap speed no longer increases, then back off a little (like a dyno), or just read the plugs after a run/pull. But isnt shutting the car off after doing a run really bad for the turbo as your killing the oil supply when its been loaded hard?

Synoptic
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Synoptic »

shut off the engine, but kepp the car in gear, this way the oil pump will still provide pressure.
Synoptic Tuning Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

98vtec

Re: How to tune timing without dyno

Post by 98vtec »

ckretvix wrote:Looking to learn how to do timing as best as possible without a dyno. I've heard that you can go to the track, and add timing until trap speed no longer increases, then back off a little (like a dyno), or just read the plugs after a run/pull. But isnt shutting the car off after doing a run really bad for the turbo as your killing the oil supply when its been loaded hard?
i would not advice adding timing until the mph doesnt increase. You may run into a few cells that dont want as much timing as the other (shouldnt once you reach MBT) but still thats kinda iffy. If you do it that way, keep a strong eye on the plugs after every run.
eCtune Authorized Tuner Blake Barr Pensacola, FL XXX Performance - In House DynoJet 850-457-DYNO

ckretvix

Post by ckretvix »

Im asking cause Im not sure the process people use at the track.

98vtec

Post by 98vtec »

from my experience, i dyno tuned and then fine tuned at the track.
eCtune Authorized Tuner Blake Barr Pensacola, FL XXX Performance - In House DynoJet 850-457-DYNO

ckretvix

Post by ckretvix »

When you tune on the dyno, does mbt usually come before detonation?

98vtec

Post by 98vtec »

not necessarily. Depends. You can detonate anywhere and the most prone areas for detonation are high load and low rpm. That puts the most strain on the engine and requires careful tuning for high compression and supercharged applications. The timing curve to MBT and what the engine whats in order to not detonate is going to differ on a case by case basis.

combz

Post by combz »

im surprised more people aren't trying to help you. anyways, i would suggest a good det monitoring system. There are really expensive ones out there now, or i'm sure you have seem some DIY ones that work quite well. 1.Do research, find an approximate value based on setups that are quite similar to yours for timing numbers and start on the very low side of those. 2.Tune with det mon device on. 3. don't go crazy adding a bunch of timing in all at once, in all ranges..if you want to do it right it takes a while. Add timing in certain rpm region first...listen for det at that point...if there is none bump it up again..but again you cant go nuts, because it takes a fine tuned ear to distinguish between detonation and other engine noises. 4.check plugs often thats all i can suggest, comments are welcome, and i realize this is not ideal, but may be better than shooting in the dark

ckretvix

Post by ckretvix »

Well right now Im running a stock B18b at 12psi with about 18.5deg of timing at redline (.75 retard per lb). I feel like I could put a little more advance in after looking (like 1 deg) at some tuned maps in rom dumps. The car is going to the dyno this saturday with a group for a dyno day so I'll see what it puts down, but I wont have time to fine tune anything.

Bindegal

Post by Bindegal »

Cost of dyno session with time for adjustments: $100? Cost of blown engine: $2000? Do the math :D If you don´t have the cash to spend on the dyno, you sure as h___ don´t have the cash to rebuild that engine. /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Garrett

Post by Garrett »

Bindegal wrote:Cost of dyno session with time for adjustments: $100? Cost of blown engine: $2000? /Allan
:!:
eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Riviere-du-Loup, Quebec, Canada www.precisionautocanada.com

Piv

Post by Piv »

Garrett wrote:
Bindegal wrote:Cost of dyno session with time for adjustments: $100? Cost of blown engine: $2000? /Allan
:!:
No more to say ! Once you use a dyno for tuning, you'll never be back only on track but always do both!
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: United Kingdom www.artech-tuning.co.uk