What do I need to change on my car to run E85

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Wazzzup
http://phpbb3styles.net

What do I need to change on my car to run E85

Post by Wazzzup »

What do I have to do to make my car run on E85? Car: Civic EG with H22A. N/A Parts: Stock Civic fuelpump. Stock H22A injectors. Skunk2 intake 70mm AEM UEGO wideband P28 with eCtune Changes to be made: Bigger injectors +/- 450cc? Walbro 255 fuelpump? After some miles change the fuelfilter AEM info found on the AEM power Forum:
You can run the AEM AFR Gauge with any Fuel ( except Leaded ). The sensor is reading LAMBDA, not AFR, at any time. So there is no need to read lower than 10.0 AFR. The Gauge will transfer that LAMBDA to an AFR onto the display for selected Fuels ( Gasoline, Methanol...) BUT: Stoich Mode is 14.7 equals Lambda 1 for Gasoline. If you running E85, it will read also 14.7 equal Lambda 1. ( but you need app. 33% more fuel for Stoich ) So, leave the Gauge in Gasoline mode, you can tune with E85 like you do it with Gasoline. Choose the same AFR you will use for Gasoline. then try to map it as you want, you will feel what the engine needs. Sometimes its getting more power by leaning E85 a bit out, sometimes the engine likes it to run a bit richer than on gas. All depends on compression Ratio, Timing, Head shape,....
E85 stoich : 9.765 E85 Max power rich : 6.975 E85 Max power lean : 8.4687
When I'm right I can use the AEM wideband with E85 to tune my car or I'm I wrong?
EG H22A 1/4 mile 13.6 sec @ Drachten with eCtune

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

If AEM says you dont have to do anything with the wideband and leave it set at gasoline, you can use any wideband.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

Get some 550s and a fuel pump, and you cab use any wideband setup to Work with gasoline, just tune it like you'd tune gasoline.. On a na setup Ur timing maps will end up being simular to a gasoline tune.. I'd start With 12.5afr at wot and gradually lean it out till it stops maki n power.. You can run the part throttle pretty lean safely, I usually run 15s afr wise in the part throttle areas with no issues.. But ultimatly Just keep an eye on ur plugs and you'll be fine..
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

You will go through a filter or to as it cleans your tank so just keep an Eye on ur afr, if they start leaning out chk ur filter..

xenocron
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by xenocron »

Bugermass wrote:You will go through a filter or to as it cleans your tank so just keep an Eye on ur afr, if they start leaning out chk ur filter..
What exactly does it clean out of the tank? Does Gasoline leave deposits over time?
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

Since its alcohol it basically disolves and floats any dirt, debris, varnish, and any kind of deposits from addititves.. My friend with the crazy RSX was on E85 for a while, and within 1000 miles he completely clogged up both 100micron and the single 10 micron filter he had on his fuel system to the point that the car stopped running.. So you should have a spare filter or 2 cause you'll be basically cleaning your fuel system better than any of those fuel system cleaners can lol..

xenocron
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by xenocron »

Bugermass wrote:Since its alcohol it basically disolves and floats any dirt, debris, varnish, and any kind of deposits from addititves.. My friend with the crazy RSX was on E85 for a while, and within 1000 miles he completely clogged up both 100micron and the single 10 micron filter he had on his fuel system to the point that the car stopped running.. So you should have a spare filter or 2 cause you'll be basically cleaning your fuel system better than any of those fuel system cleaners can lol..
I dont know about Texas, but most gas now around here (especially during the winter) is E10 anyways...I would assume that would do some cleaning as well. I have never heard of this before though.
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...