which turbo for streetable B16 civic

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

EITCP
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

which turbo for streetable B16 civic

Post by EITCP »

please advise me some good streetable (with journal bearings) turbo for b16 civic. i am wondering would be T3 super 60 the real deal? garrett if possible and no ball bearing ones. I am looking for something with similar results like TD05-18G which is in greddy turbo kits.
---------------------------------- TUNERC team eCtune Authorised Tuner for Slovenia Passed ACP course at EFI University in Temecula, CA, November 07

thething96

Post by thething96 »

gt28rs aka \"disco potatoe\"?

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

agreed, 28rs is a killer turbo if you want fast spool and max of about 300HP
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

EITCP

Post by EITCP »

but it's a ball bearing one
---------------------------------- TUNERC team eCtune Authorised Tuner for Slovenia Passed ACP course at EFI University in Temecula, CA, November 07

butch11a

Post by butch11a »

borg warner s256 or s258, i have a b18 with an s259, spools earlier than a .63 a/r t3/t4 i had before and they look real nice.....try looking for my old posts for pics....btw they have a different spooling sound compared to garret's...
New to eCtune, and still a lot to learn.....

turbo4life

Post by turbo4life »

i run a cdm t3t4 from ebay i used to have a b18b with ported and plished head + xs power IM and its spooled full 12 psi by 4500 and now i have a stock b16a and the the same turbo seems to spool faster. dont know maybe the smoother flow turbo exit i added Image Image Image

Bindegal

Post by Bindegal »

One of my all-time favourite builds is a simple setup with a bone stock engine and a tiny GT2554 turbo bolted on. For a street (or circuit racing) car this gives you 230HP @ 6-7 PSI and instant spool in any gear. Feels much stronger than the measly horsepower figure indicates. I do realise this is a ball bearing turbo but thought I´d mention it anyway. One of my customers has used this setup for 50K km on a standard B16 which had done 300K km at the time of the turbo install. Only then (and after a number of laps on Nürburgring) did the engine give up. I have a hunch it would last forever on an engine with less km´s on it. /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

Bindegal wrote:One of my all-time favourite builds is a simple setup with a bone stock engine and a tiny GT2554 turbo bolted on. For a street (or circuit racing) car this gives you 230HP @ 6-7 PSI and instant spool in any gear. Feels much stronger than the measly horsepower figure indicates.
More people having experience with a GT2554 a stock B16? Because it sounds very enteresting! I'm want a mild setup. So low boost, not to much hp. 225 and 6psi was what I was thinking of. I was looking for T3/T4 or GT28 setups. But this little fellow sounds like it exactly meets my requirements. I don't want to push it to much as it also is my daily driver, which gives me about 100km of fun every day.

Bindegal

Post by Bindegal »

in my opinion, for that mild 6-7psi setup you don´t need anything bigger than the gt2554. And it´s fast enough on a circuit to give some of the higher horsepower cars something to think about becasue its driveability and throttle response is NA-like. This works 259% better than the JRSC setups I have worked with also. If tuned correctly and driver doesen´t have a constant lead foot, mileage is about the same as the standard car. You could probably tune it for better-than-stock mileage with a bit of work :) /Allan

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

TEMPTING :D

Bindegal

Post by Bindegal »

This is a recent dyno run. 200-220 Nm from 3400 until limiter. Naturally this is not a quartermile beast, but for other purposes quite ideal :) /Allan
Attachments
b16lowboost.png
b16lowboost.png (28.49 KiB) Viewed 5353 times

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

I am working on my own engine right now. Its a mildly build B16 with typeR cams, 10:1cr and a GT28RS. Yesterday I started the engine for the first time but its still NA. Now that it runs fine it will be boosted pretty soon.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

I've read the flow map and did some calculations based on my engine @ 6psi. I have my doubts about the high RPM range at low boost (less then 9psi) Can it keep up with the air flow above the 7k RPM? flow map and torque graph both show a decrease of efficiency. But on the other hand, we're talking a daily driver here, so 7K+ is not that important. And the torque graph still show 200+Nm. hmmm.... dilemma!!1 :D

ls_dx

Post by ls_dx »

Gaskleppie wrote:I am working on my own engine right now. Its a mildly build B16 with typeR cams, 10:1cr and a GT28RS. Yesterday I started the engine for the first time but its still NA. Now that it runs fine it will be boosted pretty soon.
that should be a really fun driver!!

TopMountGSR

Post by TopMountGSR »

that little 28 is a bad bitch.. I tuned a 240sx, stock sr20 swap, cams and bolt ons w a gt28r on it and it went 11.0 in the 1/4 mile. 1.55 60ft You pop the hood and in my eyes looks no different from the stock one. It just amazed me. This car was getting ten kinds of nasty street tuning it on 26\" slicks and welded diff.
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image