non-vtec d series, higher rpm needed

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

danz
http://phpbb3styles.net

non-vtec d series, higher rpm needed

Post by danz »

hey all. i got a d16a6 and i would like to be able to tune it up to 9500rpm. the ecu is a p28 equivalent. i thought i would be able to run a d16z6 map and disable all the vtec checks and just have it switch maps, and do things that way... but it doesnt seem to switch to the high cam maps. (at least nothing gets data logged on the high cam map) currently i have the vtec routine enabled, but all vtec options disabled (speed check, ect check, pressure sensor, solenoid error, and error check) minimum load 2.9 in hg min ecu 60 min speed 10 km disengage 500 rpm lower vtec points low load 7500rpm 15% tps high load 7500 rpm 28% tps is there a better way to go about doing this? maybe i am doing something wrong. another thing i noticed, rev limiter is currently set to 8500 yet my datalogs dont show RPM getting over 7500. ive been trying different things but i am all out of ideas. anyone care to chime in?

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

this was will work, the other possibility is to use the highcam only option and rescale the highcam map.. I believe in basemap creator theres an option for a LS Highcam only map as well. You could use this and copy the fuel and timing values from a single cam map to the correct rpm/load points on the LS map and that would work as well. Id'd take a little more time to get tuned out, but it would probably be your best option..
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

danz

Post by danz »

hmm, so the way i am doing it should be working? i wonder why it wont switch to the high cam map? when i created the map i used the \"race d16z6\" and usdm p06 maps to start things off. i wonder if that might be it? i also tried to remove some lower RPM rows on the low cam map and add some above 8000 but it doesnt seem to want anything higher than 8000. :(

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

yeah the RPM scaler will only allow 8000RPm on the low cam.. post your cal and I'll see if theres a setting you missed.

danz

Post by danz »

Bugermass wrote:yeah the RPM scaler will only allow 8000RPm on the low cam.. post your cal and I'll see if theres a setting you missed.
will do when i get home from work. thanks a lot, much appreciated.

danz

Post by danz »

hey bugermass, here it is. also, the rpm doesnt want to go above 7500 rpm when the limiter is set to 8500 currently. (with vtec enabled or disabled) i can upload logs as well if that would help.
Attachments
race d15b7 test drew final RPM edit newest.cal
(8.19 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

elevation

Post by elevation »

lower the rpm you enter 2nd map and see if problem follows cuz its too likely your entering second map @ 7500 and problem happens @ 7500.match 2nd maps per row , per column as 1st map, timing and fuel;)
regards eCtune authorized tuner eCtune team Colorado Springs, CO- USA elevationauto.com

9400RPMS

Post by 9400RPMS »

Whats done to Rev that high..

danz

Post by danz »

elevation wrote:lower the rpm you enter 2nd map and see if problem follows cuz its too likely your entering second map @ 7500 and problem happens @ 7500.match 2nd maps per row , per column as 1st map, timing and fuel;)
thanks for the good tip. im starting to think its either spark blow out or a janky dizzy. going to test some stuff out tomorrow. i got it go hit 8000rpm but it hesitates pretty bad. no detonation but power falls right off, of course. i ended up using an LS high cam base and copied my current tune over. all went smooth and the car drives great. except the high end issues. going to the track tomorrow, wish me 120 mph traps!! :) :wink:

9400RPMS

Post by 9400RPMS »

9400RPMS wrote:Whats done to Rev that high..
I guess we avoid this question? I'd like to know, few d series that I've tuned, haven't had any need to rev any higher then 7800rpms.. And we're talking built motors with a gangsta cam.. Is your car actually making power that high or what?
DDTech | DDTECHCAMS.COM

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Hey Dan; I would ask; timing are you running at that RPM, and... is anything done the the valvetrain? OEM springs start to give out in the 8K range... you get valve float; a constant rpm with an odd hesitation to it that is very unique compared to detonation...
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

danz

Post by danz »

9400RPMS wrote:
9400RPMS wrote:Whats done to Rev that high..
I guess we avoid this question? I'd like to know, few d series that I've tuned, haven't had any need to rev any higher then 7800rpms.. And we're talking built motors with a gangsta cam.. Is your car actually making power that high or what?
bisi cam isky springs.... i want to stay in my power band when im shifting in the quarter mile.. that is the whole point of the cam, the springs, and head work. is my car making power up there? i dont know i cant rev it past 7500 to find out... sigh...
JaredKaragen wrote:Hey Dan; I would ask; timing are you running at that RPM, and... is anything done the the valvetrain? OEM springs start to give out in the 8K range... you get valve float; a constant rpm with an odd hesitation to it that is very unique compared to detonation...
at that RPM the timing value in the map is 21 deg. AFR is 11.5ish. (8:1 compression). zero audible detonation through the stethoscope. it seems to just fall on its face. i switched my tune over to LS maps and its the exact same issue. i picked up a new dizzy and it has the exact same problem i suppose it could be valve float, but that would be very disappointing. it was able to run 109mph with a 1500rpm power band tho.. i cant wait till i can open it up.

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

hows your fueling transition between the low and high cam tables? its possible you have too much fuel on the high cam table and thats causing it to break up.. is that cal the most current one?

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

Valvetrain or not... I´m too scared to make the max piston speed calculation on a D16 spinning that fast :o /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

danz

Post by danz »

Bugermass wrote:hows your fueling transition between the low and high cam tables? its possible you have too much fuel on the high cam table and thats causing it to break up.. is that cal the most current one?
here is the most current map. i pulled a tonne of timing to see what would happen. still gave me problems. there are pics of the datalog graphs as well on the map with 16deg timing. it was running 20-23.5deg of timing before with no detonation. but i wanted to double check my ear wasnt wrong. full sized pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/danielzeilstra/DatalogPics# i dont need 9500rpm, but the fact of the matter is it should be able to surpass 7000rpm without sputtering
Attachments
LS test map 19 deg at max boost.cal
low timing testing map
(8.19 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
LS test map most timing.cal
original map
(8.19 KiB) Downloaded 149 times