Need your thoughts...

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Almighty-Si
http://phpbb3styles.net

Need your thoughts...

Post by Almighty-Si »

Well I think I broke some ringlands on my pistons. Not exactly sure it is the ringlands but the compression is down on 2 cylinders and if I am going to open up the motor I am going to replace them anyways. I knew it was inevitable and I really can't be upset. The motor is 10 years old and it has been boosted for 7 of those years, sometimes not with the greatest tunes and I am not the nicest person on my cars :D Before I made a final decision, I thought I would get some input from you guys. My car is a street car that makes the very occasional trip to the track. My set-up is a B16 and basically a GReddy kit with ramhorn manifold, Tial 38mm wastegate and 2.5 inch downpipe off the turbo (I hated the boost creep and the 2.5 inch downpipe cause I wanted to keep A/C) and everything else GReddy including the 18G. It's a very nice street/highway set-up and I would like to keep it this way. I was looking at the Eagle rod/CP piston combo. The Eagle rods should suit me just fine as I am sure even if I were to push the boost up to 20psi on the 18G, I wouldn't make much more than 400whp. The thing is the CP pistons are a 9.0:1 compression ratio. I don't know how they would feel out of boost. I think SRP makes 9.5:1 and 9.8:1 compression pistons which I think might be better for me but it's where I am stuck. Of course since I am replacing the rods and pistons I want to run a lot of boost ;) so I don't know if the higher compression will hurt me then. So your thoughts will be much appreciated....Thanks !

TopMountGSR
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by TopMountGSR »

Cp makes 9.7:1 pistons JE SRP is a lower quality piston than cp. Although would be just fine to stock sleeve limitations. That's such a tiny turbo that there should be almost no lag and should build boost at almost any rpm range at the slightest throttle. That baby snail @ 20psi on pump gas, stock sleeve @ 9.0:1 is very doable with conservative timing and air fuels. I would recommend the manley H beams, there about the same price at the eagles but are nicer quality. Or even get the cheaper scats, they are better than eagles. I've had to get the small ends machined out on eagles before right out of the box because of poor quality control. I would recommend the $~400 manley pistons, they are dirt cheap, and have tool steel wristpins standard. The tool steel wristpins are available as a option on the CPs for an extra 150$. I know people that have pushed the manley pistons deep into the 700whp range. Supertech makes some 420$ \"turbo\" pistons that \"withstand 45+psi\" supposedly.. never used em, but sounds tempting. They make nice valves. I'm not knocking JE SRP/Eagle combination, they will hold up fine to your sleeves limitations but there are better options for about the same price. I actually have a JE SRP/Eagle GSR at my shop.
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image

DSMR

Post by DSMR »

I dont think that I would consider an 18g a tiny turbo... But maybe you mess around with large frame turbos all day lol.

sewell94

Post by sewell94 »

I doubt you'd even notice the difference between 9:1 and 9.8:1 cr's. At that point alot of other factors come into play.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Port St Lucie, Fl,

xenocron

Post by xenocron »

I doubt you would notice it at all either the diff between 9.0 and 9.7... My favorite combo is Eagle/Wiseco...but I just ordered a set of the Manley for a customer and I was pleasantly surprised, although there pistons scare me, the intake valve reliefs are WAY too thin, kind of like how CP used to do it when they had all those problems back in the day with melting valve reliefs because they cut their pistons for gigantic valves.
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

thething96

Post by thething96 »

Me personaly have had somewhat of a bad experience with je pistons. They're good, but don't seem to withstand as much abuse as other high quality pistons(cp). I say go with 10.5.1 compression, some really good tunning, and REACH FOR THE SKY!!!!!!!!

Almighty-Si

Post by Almighty-Si »

The turbo actually seems to spool a little later since the manifold/downpipe/wastegate swap. Makes full boost about 1000rpm later @ 4000rpm compared to the GReddy stuff, power though is a big difference :) I was looking for the manley H beams but all I can seem to find are some for the B18 and not the B16. I did find the scats and they seem pretty nice and they're just a touch more expensive than the Eagles. Still not exactly sure what pistons I should go with. I know you all say I wouldn't feel a difference from 9:1 to 9.8:1 but there has to be some difference. Maybe I will just go with the 9:1's and blame you all if I don't like them and you can buy them off me :p

Almighty-Si

Post by Almighty-Si »

Just thought I would update...car is dropped off at the mechanic for the tear down and the scat rods and wiseco 9.0:1 pistons should be arriving today :D Was going to do everything myself but I need the car in a couple weeks for a road trip to N.C and I just don't have enough time working 12-16 hour days everyday to get the car done in time. Another quick question...you think at this point a new intake manifold and throttle body would do me good? Suggestions? Thanks for your help !