AEM EMS tuners out there?

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

EITCP
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

AEM EMS tuners out there?

Post by EITCP »

does anyone has any experiences with AEM EMS? I am tuning one Acura NSX with AEM system but i got a huge problem with unstable AFR when i am tuning it on a dyno (with load). If i make a dno brake to 3000rpm and i tried to tune the car in a steady state i got afr from 18 to 13 up and down... any suggestions?
---------------------------------- TUNERC team eCtune Authorised Tuner for Slovenia Passed ACP course at EFI University in Temecula, CA, November 07

rschoener

Post by rschoener »

I have been doing many AEM's recently. What Wideband are you using? is it feed back into the AEM o2 input? Where is the o2 located on the exshaust? There are a few things it could be i can think of without knowing the detail. 1. setup of o2 in the AEM calibration 2. Electrical noise on the power / signal of o2 3. Exshaust leak.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Atco, NJ, USA Randy Schoener RSTECH www.rstech-racing.com

EITCP

Post by EITCP »

ok let me start. i am using 1002 V1.19 basemap . The car runs rich as hell but it is totally stock. WB is plx R500, wired directly to o2 sensor wire and it is displayed correctly (the same as in a plx display). it is located at rear exhaust manifold before the muffler. If i reconnect stock ecu i got no problems at all, AFR is stable. No exhaust leak, and i believe no noise as i feel the car is shaking on a dyno when AFR goes up and down.. here is basemap and one log file i made. You can see in log file that AFR is really jumping as hell. What if i would tried to start with 1012 or 1042 basemap???
Attachments
NSX2.V1.19.cal
(20.52 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
---------------------------------- TUNERC team eCtune Authorised Tuner for Slovenia Passed ACP course at EFI University in Temecula, CA, November 07

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

give me a few I'm checking out your map..
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

You had O2 feedback control enabled.. This will try to auto correct your fuel and if its not setup properly it will make huge AFR swings... Heres your map with it disabled, see if this fixes your problem..
Attachments
NSX2.V1.19.cal
(20.52 KiB) Downloaded 147 times

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

Did this help???

98vtec

Post by 98vtec »

im interested in learning how to use AEM, however, from so many people i have heard of its \"advanced\" user interface. Is it just the terminology they use to name a function or what? I've been weary of learning this system on customer cars (instead of my own - my preference in learning) as i dont want them to have to go to someone else and therefore making me feel like a dumbass lol.
eCtune Authorized Tuner Blake Barr Pensacola, FL XXX Performance - In House DynoJet 850-457-DYNO

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

it just has and can do ALOT of stuff, so it takes time to get familiar with all the features and functions..

EITCP

Post by EITCP »

bugermass, it did helped but at the end i used Unichip ECU to tune the car as it was a lot easier and i've controlled better the nitrous injection the car had installed.

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

wow, you went from aem to unichip lol.. AEM is really good, it just takes some time to learn the system. Cool well glad you got it all working.

EITCP

Post by EITCP »

i know man. The owner of the car just couldn't wait for me to spend more and more time how to use AEM with NX progresive nitrous controller.The NX controller was bought used with no instruction papers and it would take too much time to adjust everything to be in working order. With the unichip tuning nitrous is easy as hell. It takes 3 hours from installing it and adjusting it. It can make nitrous shots by gear (speed based actually), and you can control both solenoids(fuel and nos)separately with it at every 400 rpm...

Synoptic

Post by Synoptic »

I retuned an AEM yesterday, and I had to add boost control with HI/LO boost things... took me an hour and a half to figure out what was what and understanding the closedloop boost hysterisi P+I and all that shit.
Synoptic Tuning Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

98vtec

Post by 98vtec »

Bugermass wrote:it just has and can do ALOT of stuff, so it takes time to get familiar with all the features and functions..
i've read the manual as well as downloaded the software and peaked around. I had actually bought an AEM for my car, however, it took the guy so long to ship it out to me i just asked for my money back. I'd love to be able to get my hands on this unit though.
eCtune Authorized Tuner Blake Barr Pensacola, FL XXX Performance - In House DynoJet 850-457-DYNO

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

I've been doing alot of AEM based cars lately so I'm pretty fluent in it.. at first I didn't really like it, but now that I know how to use everything and I see how powerfull it really is, I recomend them to most of the customers.. In some cases I recommend the new haltech platnium stuff instead, but for most stuff I say go with the AEM..

jonbar87

Re: AEM EMS tuners out there?

Post by jonbar87 »

EITCP wrote:does anyone has any experiences with AEM EMS? I am tuning one Acura NSX with AEM system but i got a huge problem with unstable AFR when i am tuning it on a dyno (with load). If i make a dno brake to 3000rpm and i tried to tune the car in a steady state i got afr from 18 to 13 up and down... any suggestions?
Are you using AEMTuner or Pro? The problem is either because decel fuel cut is trying to kick in, or your O2 FB update rate is too quick. Turn ON O2 FB, but set your O2 FB settings as follows: O2 FB Accel Max: 50 Micro seconds (this is dependent on your accel fuel. Basically, if accel fuel goes over this value, then O2 FB will be stopped for 196 Milli-seconds, or whatever you have O2 FB Accel inhibit set to) O2 FB Accel Inhibit: 196 Milli-seconds O2 FB Decel Inhibit: 196 Milli-seconds O2 FB Update Rate: 65 Milli-seconds Also, be sure decel fuel cut isn't trying to kick in...set it to at least .2psi lower than the max vacuum that the engine pulls at idle. I have mine set to: Fuel off below tps: .8 (be sure your tps cal table is correct, if not, this setting may need to be higher) Fuel off below load -10.8 (I idle at -10.6 and max vacuum I pull is around -12.2 something) Fuel off above rpm 1700 The easiest way that I've found to tune the fuel map is to either (1) Turn O2 FB on, then in the parameters window, (channels if your using tuner) have the O2 FB Value right below the O2 FB # 1, then simply +/- fuel until the bars are even with each other or (2) data log engine speed, engine load, and fuel pulse, and just paste the values into the appropriate load/rpm cells in the fuel map.