Rebuilt USDM Type R, and still smoking.......

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

thething96
http://phpbb3styles.net

Rebuilt USDM Type R, and still smoking.......

Post by thething96 »

Hi, a friend recently rebuilt a US 2000 Type R engine. Got new piston rings, bearings, head gasket, new valve stem seals, head studs, rod and main bolts, new pcv valve, and misc. gaskets. The car would burn oil and smoke, specially at light load and between shifting, so we assumed it needed to be rebuilt. But after all the work, the engines still burns the same amount of oil, and it's still smoking. I heard that Type R blocks, after many miles(or kilometers!) the cylinder walls tend to \"oval\" out. Any one with similar issues? Thanks............

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

did you have the block machined? or did you just put the new parts back into a tired block?
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

thething96

Post by thething96 »

The owner said that he honed with his own honing machine, at a 60 degree angle, or something like that. But yes, it was honed. And as far as the whole cylinder ovaling effect, is that something you heard of, or is it made up?

naturalalloy

Post by naturalalloy »

valve stem seals on the wrong sides?

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

if the work was done by somone who really isn't a engine machinest, then it could be anything.. An improper hone can really mess things up.
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

thething96

Post by thething96 »

The thing is, the car was doing exactly the same thing before and after the build. When the car first started to burn oil, the guy assumed it was a bad head gasket. He replaced that, but didn't do anything. After that, he then replaced all the other parts, but it's still pretty much the same. I figured that I wasn't the only one to know these kind of issues, but I have no clue what else could be wrong.......

TheGuardian

Post by TheGuardian »

Compression and leak down test results?
Team-Integra member (TheAlpha) Silver Integra LS-T 250whp/246wtq @13psi

Almighty-Si

Post by Almighty-Si »

I doubt the sleeves ovaled out, pretty sure one would notice that while honing the block, that is unless they used one of those ball type hones. If I have to take a shot in the dark, I would look at the valve stem seals like naturalalloy suggested.

Gaskleppie

Post by Gaskleppie »

PCV valve stuck open?
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

g.t engineering

Post by g.t engineering »

standard rings or file fit :?: :?:

thething96

Post by thething96 »

standard rings, pcv valve new, but it might be stuck...........

jpjackson

re

Post by jpjackson »

if you didnt replace the valve stem guides, the valve stem seals were pointless to replace. was the head redone at a machine shop or did the guy just replace the seals? if the guides are worn out and letting the stems walk around the seals are already destroyed. here are the specs.
Attachments
valve guide spec
valve guide spec
type r valve guide service spec.JPG (28.74 KiB) Viewed 4537 times
Universal Technical Institute Hot rod University graduate ASE Master Certified Automotive Tech Honda and Acura factory certified 9 years and counting in the automotive field