Plug Reading: Should I add more timing/fuel?

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

ninezeroteg
http://phpbb3styles.net

Plug Reading: Should I add more timing/fuel?

Post by ninezeroteg »

As stated in another post, the setup is as follows: 84.5mm B20 vtec (block was decked) Stock B17 Head (head was milled) 12.5:1 Compression RS Machines Type R Replica Pistons Prelude 345cc Injectors Skunk2 Type R IM AEM Ram air Intake 4-2-1 Egay Header 2.5\" Mandrel Bent Exhaust Stock Ignition (brand new distributor/cap/rotor) Stock Plug Wires NGK 4554 gapped to .032\" AFR = 15 at idle to 13.8 at WOT I put these plugs in today, and did four WOT pulls in 3rd gear (low cam only). On the last one, shut the car off at 7k RPM. Pulled the plugs and brought them home to take pics. From what I've read, It looks like I can add about 1 to 2 degrees timing? Also, it looks like I maybe need to run one step (edit:) hotter of a plug? There are no heat rings that I can see on the threads. PLEASE, correct me if I'm wrong about these things. The porcelain is white on all 4 plugs, no aluminum or pepper. The porcelain pretty much looks the same as when I put the plugs in. I went over them well with a 10x magnifier. Pics posted, as well as my datalog from the runs, and a screenshot of the low cam ignition. Appreciate any input.
Attachments
Plug #1
Plug #1
plug no 1.JPG (31.06 KiB) Viewed 6434 times
Plug #2
Plug #2
plug no 2.JPG (35.36 KiB) Viewed 6434 times
Plug #3
Plug #3
plug no 3.JPG (33.44 KiB) Viewed 6434 times
Last edited by ninezeroteg on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ninezeroteg

Post by ninezeroteg »

other images.
Attachments
Low Cam Ignition (corrected with right scalars)
Low Cam Ignition (corrected with right scalars)
low cam ignition map.JPG (105.33 KiB) Viewed 6411 times
Plug #4
Plug #4
plug no 4.JPG (29.22 KiB) Viewed 6433 times
Last edited by ninezeroteg on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

For that boost level you should be running a #7 heat range plug.. What does the insulator look like way down inside the plug where it meets thebase? Is there a ring of carbon on it? If so, about how thick would you say it is? 1-2mm ?
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

boost level?
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

ninezeroteg

Post by ninezeroteg »

Edit: Bugermass, sorry man.. I had the scalars setup wrong. This is all motor. I updated the image above to show the correction. As far as the insulator where it meets the base, I didn't see any carbon ring at all. I know my AFR's are pretty decent though according to my LC-1. That's what is confusing to me. I thought if I was running a plug that was too cold, I would have lots of carbon build up on the insulator?

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

Ahh haha thats cool.. Yeah you should have a pretty good ring.. Mabey they just wern't in there long enough to get a good coating on em ;)

ninezeroteg

Post by ninezeroteg »

Right on, I'll put them back in tomorrow and do another 4 or 6 runs to see if I can get the fuel ring to show.

ninezeroteg

Post by ninezeroteg »

I put the plugs back in tonight, and drove around doing some data logging for about 20 minutes or so. Then I did four 7k rpm WOT pulls in a row, turning the engine off at 7200 rpm the last time and pulled the plugs. Still no fuel ring at the base of the porcelain, but not seeing a whole lot of color change from the heat on the threads either. I'll post up pics tomorrow. I have a set of R5671A-9's, should I try those out, or go to a R5671A-7?

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

I just noticed you said your runing 13.8 @ WOT. there won't be any fuel ring at those AFRs lol.. you could probably put the 7s in there and be fine. are you just doing like 1 gear pulls? or are you going through all the gears really loading up the motor?

ninezeroteg

Post by ninezeroteg »

I've only been doing mainly 3rd gear pulls when doing the plug reading. Yea, I have 13.8 @ WOT but am thinking maybe I should add a little fuel there. Maybe 13.1? I'm tuning the low cam first, trying to get it perfect and then moving on to the high cam.

9400RPMS

Post by 9400RPMS »

Better richen that WOT mixture up, before you melt a piston at least 13.1's..
DDTech | DDTECHCAMS.COM

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

yeah just single pulls in one gear isn't gonna uild up enough heat in the cylinder to really get a good plug reading.. you need to go beat on the car a bit.. I'd richen it up a bit as well.

ninezeroteg

Post by ninezeroteg »

Now that I think about it, and check my .cal out, I tried to set the target AFR's to 14.7 at light load, 13.8 at medium, and 12.9 at high load in low cam. I noticed yesterday when I tried to set my high cam target AFR's in settings that the table wasn't being populated with the numbers I programmed. I should have paid more attention the first time. I caught it on the high cam and did it all by hand. I did 13.8 at light load, 13 at medium load, and 12.2 at high load. I'll work on getting my AFR's corrected. Here are pics of the plugs from last nights pulls. Still no real heat rings that I can see, and not a whole lot of color on the ground straps either. I might go get some 7's tonight and try those out. I'll start doing my WOT pulls for plug reading in all gears I can get in as well. I'm already at 90mph in 3rd gear at 7200 rpm.
Attachments
Plug #1 and #2, Plug #1 cleaned with brake cleaner and a wire brush, #2 uncleaned.
Plug #1 and #2, Plug #1 cleaned with brake cleaner and a wire brush, #2 uncleaned.
Plug no 1 and 2.JPG (61.36 KiB) Viewed 6339 times
Plug #3 and #4.  Both uncleaned.
Plug #3 and #4. Both uncleaned.
Plug no 3 and 4.JPG (54.74 KiB) Viewed 6339 times

98vtec

Post by 98vtec »

you will need to be looking to the bottom of the porcelain in order to see WOT fueling. What you are looking at in those pictures is idle and light acceleration.
eCtune Authorized Tuner Blake Barr Pensacola, FL XXX Performance - In House DynoJet 850-457-DYNO

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

^^ correct.. and those are still too cold.. Not likely to get acurate indications with that heat range.