Plug Reading: Should I add more timing/fuel?

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

Post by Bugermass »

I actually eneded up with 9s in my all motor car.. Made best power with them.. But it was 14.5:1 compression ;)
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

ninezeroteg

Post by ninezeroteg »

Here's the pics of the 9's. They aren't that great as it was overcast today and lighting was dim. It's a little more difficult to see the blue line on these, is there a trick to it that I don't know about?
Attachments
no 3 and 4
no 3 and 4
plug no 3 and 4.JPG (43.84 KiB) Viewed 6311 times
no 1 and 2
no 1 and 2
plug no 1 and 2.JPG (46.23 KiB) Viewed 6311 times

ninezeroteg

Post by ninezeroteg »

Update: I ended up having an exhaust leak where the header meets the downpipe. I didn't catch it for a little while so I kept on changing the AFR's, and the leak kept growing. By the time I caught it, my AFR's were WAY rich. Took me a week to get the right gasket. Anyway, got that fixed and put a new set of R5671A-9's in. I have to say, changing to the R5671A-9's has made a HUGE difference. It's like a completely different motor. The responsiveness is just sick... I can't believe I put 5k miles on this motor with the wrong plugs. It cleared up a lot of other issues, like tip-in and tip-out tuning and fuel cut surging. Anyway, got the AFR's back where they belong now, and the tip in and out tuned as well. Hopefully if I can get some time off this weekend I can do some more WOT pulls and get back to tuning my timing.

9400RPMS

Post by 9400RPMS »

you went to 9s? 9s are too cold. I'm at 12.8 CR and i'm on 7's.. WOT is 13.1 and idle is around 14.5ish.. you need to richen up your WOT.. 13.8 is entirely too lean.. most all motor cars make peak power at 13.5's or 13.3's... you need to be around 13.3 at least to be safe..
DDTech | DDTECHCAMS.COM

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

I've made best power on several motors at 13.8, this isn't always the case, I've had some N/A motors make best power at 11.5 .. . 9s arn't nessisarily too cold. it depends on what your motor likes. Honesly nothing is set in stone when you tune lol.. I've gone way outta acceptable bounds lately on some things and found power in weird places.

ninezeroteg

Post by ninezeroteg »

9400RPMS: I've actually richened up my AFR's quite a bit before I changed to the 9's. Here are my targets, and I'm pretty close to them all. Low Cam: Low load: 14.7-14.2 Medium Load: 13.8-13.3 High Load: 13.1 High Cam Low Load: 13.8 Medium Load: 13.1 High Load: 12.9-12.75 As far as the 9's being too cold, I thought that as well and fought it all the way til the day I tried them out. It drastically changed the motors performance. Since changing it, going into vtec is so much smoother, but also pulls a lot faster through the RPMS. The motor is much happier running these. As far as my CR, I think it's alot higher than the 12.5:1 that the pistons boast. The block was decked .007 when I built it and the head has been resurfaced twice that I know of which I believe would probably be another .010. Not sure how to figure it, but I'm sure that has boosted the CR quite a bit.

9400RPMS

Post by 9400RPMS »

ninezeroteg wrote:9400RPMS: I've actually richened up my AFR's quite a bit before I changed to the 9's. Here are my targets, and I'm pretty close to them all. Low Cam: Low load: 14.7-14.2 Medium Load: 13.8-13.3 High Load: 13.1 High Cam Low Load: 13.8 Medium Load: 13.1 High Load: 12.9-12.75 As far as the 9's being too cold, I thought that as well and fought it all the way til the day I tried them out. It drastically changed the motors performance. Since changing it, going into vtec is so much smoother, but also pulls a lot faster through the RPMS. The motor is much happier running these. As far as my CR, I think it's alot higher than the 12.5:1 that the pistons boast. The block was decked .007 when I built it and the head has been resurfaced twice that I know of which I believe would probably be another .010. Not sure how to figure it, but I'm sure that has boosted the CR quite a bit.
I just changed from 7's to 8's yesterday in my 12.8 b20vtec. Very big difference for the better.. According to the plugs, 7's were fine.. But its hot here in louisiana, and i do bear on this motor a far amount, so to be safe.. i went to 8's. Pretty huge difference.
DDTech | DDTECHCAMS.COM

TopMountGSR
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by TopMountGSR »

I'm about to step up to a 9 or 10 soon, I have been burning up 8s weekly. I install a fresh set of 4554 8s fri at the track, runs great mid 20 psi range. Beat it up all week on pump gas no issues. Get to the track friday and ignition break up on race gas at mid 20psi range first pass. Install new 4554 8s, no ignition break up problems. I'm not out of 4554 8s :( I notice when I remove the week old plugs they look years old, all crusty, weird coloring, ect. Anyone have the part numbers on the non projected 9s and 10s? I need to figure out how to get me some for the track friday. The 10s I've seen are shallow making them nice and easy to read the fuel ring.
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image

ninezeroteg

Post by ninezeroteg »

R5671A-9 5238

sewell94

Post by sewell94 »

TopMountGSR wrote:I'm about to step up to a 9 or 10 soon, I have been burning up 8s weekly. I install a fresh set of 4554 8s fri at the track, runs great mid 20 psi range. Beat it up all week on pump gas no issues. Get to the track friday and ignition break up on race gas at mid 20psi range first pass. Install new 4554 8s, no ignition break up problems. I'm not out of 4554 8s :( I notice when I remove the week old plugs they look years old, all crusty, weird coloring, ect. Anyone have the part numbers on the non projected 9s and 10s? I need to figure out how to get me some for the track friday. The 10s I've seen are shallow making them nice and easy to read the fuel ring.
Go to an iridium 9, part #2669, there alittle more money, but worth it. I run them in my car. If they were triple the price i'd still run them. Trust me on this one.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Port St Lucie, Fl,

TopMountGSR

Post by TopMountGSR »

sewell94 wrote:
TopMountGSR wrote:I'm about to step up to a 9 or 10 soon, I have been burning up 8s weekly. I install a fresh set of 4554 8s fri at the track, runs great mid 20 psi range. Beat it up all week on pump gas no issues. Get to the track friday and ignition break up on race gas at mid 20psi range first pass. Install new 4554 8s, no ignition break up problems. I'm not out of 4554 8s :( I notice when I remove the week old plugs they look years old, all crusty, weird coloring, ect. Anyone have the part numbers on the non projected 9s and 10s? I need to figure out how to get me some for the track friday. The 10s I've seen are shallow making them nice and easy to read the fuel ring.
Go to an iridium 9, part #2669, there alittle more money, but worth it. I run them in my car. If they were triple the price i'd still run them. Trust me on this one.
I've been running the ngk non projected 9s and they have been holding up better and lasting a bit longer. I always was told to stay away from the iridium plugs because 'the iridium can come off and destroy your engine' Ever experienced any issues with them while running them? You always give great advise and I'll try a set if I can find em!
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image

sewell94

Post by sewell94 »

I'm pretty sure the falling off thing is the platium plugs, I love the 2669's, they work great. I won't use anything else in my own car. I put the set i used to tune my car orginally in a buddies car, they've got a bunch of dyno time, tons of starting from moving my car in and out of the shop(on e98), almost 100 passes from his car and the car gets driven to/from the track. Plus the fastest FWD honda i know of runs/ran them. You going to PRI? If so come down a few days early, and hit up the NSCRA race.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Port St Lucie, Fl,

98vtec

Post by 98vtec »

sewell94 wrote:I'm pretty sure the falling off thing is the platium plugs, I love the 2669's, they work great. I won't use anything else in my own car. I put the set i used to tune my car orginally in a buddies car, they've got a bunch of dyno time, tons of starting from moving my car in and out of the shop(on e98), almost 100 passes from his car and the car gets driven to/from the track. Plus the fastest FWD honda i know of runs/ran them. You going to PRI? If so come down a few days early, and hit up the NSCRA race.
I dont know if i am going to PRI or not, but im going to try and make a trip down to see the race.
eCtune Authorized Tuner Blake Barr Pensacola, FL XXX Performance - In House DynoJet 850-457-DYNO

Bugermass

Post by Bugermass »

There is a possibility of the tips coming off, both with the densos and the IRs, I've heard of three cases so far of this happening. Even though, we stil run the IRs for everything now ;).. I used to always use the 4554s and such, but the IRs give me less missfire issues and just seem to last alot longer.

MantisX

Post by MantisX »

Iridiums can be gapped? MantisX