A/F ratios inconsistent

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

davelaub25
http://phpbb3styles.net

Post by davelaub25 »

Here are a couple files. The first is my ride home from work. Mostly part throttle stuff. I couldn't really get any full throttle pulls because there was traffic. The other is my current .cal. I'll try to go out after dinner when the roads are empty and do a couple full throttle pulls.
Attachments
ridehome_14092009_1746.elf
Ride home from work.
(3.73 MiB) Downloaded 171 times
eCt.base273.cal
Current .cal
(8.19 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

ninezeroteg

Post by ninezeroteg »

Just from quick observation, have you calibrated your TPS? I see it dipping into the negative numbers. Also, did you mess with the \"TPS Tip in fuel correction\" in parameters? I see your in your .cal that your tip out correction is set to -60%. I've never messed with mine, and it's set to 0. I noticed that you're going really rich at tip in and tip out. Maybe this could be part of your problem? Hopefully someone else will chime in on this, as I haven't messed with this correction at all myself yet.

davelaub25

Post by davelaub25 »

I set it at -60 to try and get rid of the rich condition in tip out. Didn't seem to help. I did calibrate the TPS you can see it sits at .47 most of the time. I'm not sure why it drops so low sometimes. It's fairly new. Thanks for the insight. I think I will see if replacing the TPS corrects that problem. Anyone know of a good source for a quality TPS. This one is a BLOX I believe.

davelaub25

Post by davelaub25 »

Is there a reason that I cant access the ignition maps? The buttons are greyed out.

davelaub25

Post by davelaub25 »

davelaub25 wrote:Is there a reason that I cant access the ignition maps? The buttons are greyed out.
Nevermind I'm a moron. :oops:

davelaub25

Post by davelaub25 »

I seem to have taken care of the rich on tip in issue. I ajusted the tip in to a negative value and it seemed to resolve that issue. Now I am trying to get rid of the rich on tip out issue. I adjusted the first column almost down to zero and it still seems to do it. I am going to try adjusting the second column after work. I also tried the tip out adjustment but it didn't seem to have an effect. Any insight?

TopMountGSR
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by TopMountGSR »

One thing I have learned and really aids in drive ability is tuning the 1st and second column out properly. A lot of time the air fuels that are charted out show you need to keep leaning out the 1st and 2nd column. I have found its better to tune these out a little rich at first directly watching the wideband rather than using the air fuel overlay data. This helps smoothness when trying to maintain a slow speed limit, driving slow in parking lots and tremendously helps down hill decel. An easy way to quickly see if a car can benefit from this is to just highlight the 1st and 2nd column and add 5-10% fuel. I have yet to tune out a car with ectune that doesn't like this. I honestly think the hardest part of ectuning a car is getting the first few columns tuned out properly and the quickest way to getting them right is by starting them off rich and ignoring the air fuel overlay data in the first few columns. A lot of BS gets recorded in the first few columns during shifts and tip in/tip out. If your 1st and 2nd columns are tuned out properly you should be able to let off the gas at almost any rpm leaving it in gear and watch the air fuels stable out not going lean even though its at 0% TPS. These columns are like a closed throttle map found in a haltech. For instance, when my car is going 80mph on the interstate at a 14.5 AFR, I let off the gas to take a exit within a second after letting off the gas the air fuels are stable at around 14.5 in gear 0% TPS 75mph or so. Also I do most of my tuning in 3rd gear only and use the gear trims to equal out the air fuels. I add a little fuel in first a little less in 2nd, none in 3rd, take out fuel in 4th, a little more in 5th. Hope this helps, stick with it, you will get better with ectune every time you use it. Its an excellent supported product with an knowledgeable team standing closely behind it.
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image

davelaub25

Post by davelaub25 »

Thank you for the advice I will try it out once I'm feeling a little better. I'm sorry I didn't notice your post. It seemed like people had stopped responding so I wasn't really checking it. But one thing I've noticed so far that I like about ecTune is the community is generally friendly and helpful. The point I left off at before I got sick I had taken care of the car going rich on tip in and the main issue was getting rid of the rich condition when letting off the throttle. There is something strange I noticed very recently. It's not from ecTune but I'll put it out there anyway... When I first start the car if I slam the door while it is idling, the idle sort of stumbles or drops and then smooths out again. I tried doing it more than one time in a row but it only does it once. I'm going to hook up the laptop and datalog while slamming the door to see what I get on the sensors.

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

Great advise! I couldnt say it better.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

TopMountGSR
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by TopMountGSR »

Gaskleppie wrote:Great advise! I couldnt say it better.
Thanks buddy, that means a lot! I love letting other people, especially other tuners drive my car! It runs damn near perfect and I'm proud of that. I have seen air fuel inconsistency related to improperly tuned battery offsets. I always try to get these tables right as they can have a major impact causing 1 - 1.5 point swings easily. Its tricky and takes quite some time learning how to get repeatable air fuels. Proper IAT placement is key.
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image