D15Z6 ITB Rebuild

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

S95Sedan
http://phpbb3styles.net

D15Z6 ITB Rebuild

Post by S95Sedan »

Some stuff i have been working on over a couple months. Started out in october last year when i got a set of GSXR-1000 Throttle bodies from Ebay. Image Soon afterwards have had a flangs made and the runners welded on like so: Image (Runners in this picture are still long but they are shortened to an overal length of 23.5cm (Velocity stacks <> Throttle Bodies <> Manifold) Velocity stacks i added. Wanted to have the best performing stacks out there which had a decent look aswell and therefor went with OEM GSXR replacements from Factory Pro: Image Full set assembled, each throttle body is attached to the runners with silicone couplers+clamps as seen below: Image Set attached to the engine i was currently building: Image (D15Z6 Engine, D16Z6 Cam+LMA, Stock bottom end, 7lb Flywheel, DC-Sport Header) Some time passed and i finally got round to finish up the rebuild engine and put everything in the car. Also finally installed the ITB's on there with as result: Image Syncing which needs to be done aswell: Image Quite a bit off there on Throttle body #3: Image With all that set and done everything basically just worked out perfectly. Idle is still a bit high since i haven't found a return spring yet which suits my setup. I'm curently also still working on the maps but i do notice they get better and better after each adjustment. Also judging by butt dyno the engine itself definaly pulls and feels much faster. As for the ITB i think this size and runner length is just perfect and do look forward to see what they do when i can finally order my Bisimoto V2 Header. Some footage i shot of the car/itb's: http://alternative-music.nl/civic/S95Sedan_ITB.wmv For those who are interested below are the fuelmaps/ignition tables and ectune .cal, feel free to ask/pm/whatever if you need to know anything about your own setups. - Technical stuff - Calibration: http://alternative-music.nl/civic/itb/e ... Tuning.cal Fuelmap Lowcam: Image Fuelmap Highcam: Image Ignition Map Lowcam: Image GSXR-1000 Throttle body specs: Make/Model: GSXR 1000 Year: -01 Number of Tb: 4 Inside Diameter: 42mm Center-Center (left to right from behind): 80-80-80mm Overall Length: 90mm Outside Diameter (intake): 48 Outside Diameter (filter): 52 Separate casting: Yes

cyanide

Post by cyanide »

What is the total length of the system (back of valve head to velocity stacks)? How can you sync each throttle seperately? In my CBR ITBs, you can only adjust 2 at a time. Good project, I'll be using your maps to learn :) Thanks for sharing.

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

I got a more or less identical set of GSXR ITB´s a couple of years back, then gave them away to a friend. He put them on his rebuilt ZC1 (what you would know as a D16A1). I think he made about 150-160 bhp but there´s still some tweaking to be done. Thanks for sharing :) /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

S95Sedan

Post by S95Sedan »

cyanide wrote:What is the total length of the system (back of valve head to velocity stacks)? How can you sync each throttle seperately? In my CBR ITBs, you can only adjust 2 at a time. Good project, I'll be using your maps to learn :) Thanks for sharing.
Current length: (Runners in this picture are still long but they are shortened to an overal length of 23.5cm (Velocity stacks <> Throttle Bodies <> Manifold);) For the GSXR-1000 TB's each have there own seperate adjustment screw. So can be synced seperately. Map as of 12th Nov: http://alternative-music.nl/civic/itb/D ... 009%5d.cal
Bindegal wrote:I got a more or less identical set of GSXR ITB´s a couple of years back, then gave them away to a friend. He put them on his rebuilt ZC1 (what you would know as a D16A1). I think he made about 150-160 bhp but there´s still some tweaking to be done. Thanks for sharing :) /Allan
Nice numbers :) Still have to take mine to the dyno (some things needed to be sort, better runners, more tuning) but definately looking forward to finally seeying what numbers they produce.

Bindegal

Post by Bindegal »

Even here in cold Denmark, a good airbox makes a huge difference in power, btw... I think my friend found 15-20hp by feeding it cold air and retuning. Having said that, though. As such I don´t believe in the ZC1 ITB project. Far too much work to basically reach the same power output as an on B16A1 which can be shoehorned into the old CRX also. /Allan

S95Sedan

Post by S95Sedan »

Bindegal wrote:Even here in cold Denmark, a good airbox makes a huge difference in power, btw... I think my friend found 15-20hp by feeding it cold air and retuning. Having said that, though. As such I don´t believe in the ZC1 ITB project. Far too much work to basically reach the same power output as an on B16A1 which can be shoehorned into the old CRX also. /Allan
Well i'm a bit of an oddball that way, mainly because i like the challenge of them and it's somthing not alot can or actually do. As for swapping in a B-Series, thats just too easy ;) Airbox could be a possibility but thats something minor when all else is done, currently im also working on a new fully custom set which will be designed to (future) specs of the engine. So less time spent on the GSXR ones tuning wise. Though i have updated the map slightly which is to be found here: http://www.sohc.nl/tech/ectune/Current% ... 010%5d.cal Some pictures of the prototype: Image Image Image Image Image Image

TopMountGSR

Post by TopMountGSR »

Looks great, thanks for sharing with us! The last pictures of the machined piece; is that your prototype airbox? Are you a machinist? Excellent job!
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image

Bindegal

Post by Bindegal »

Looks like an elaborate throttle body of some sort to me.... very interesting! /Allan

Wazzzup

Post by Wazzzup »

EG H22A 1/4 mile 13.6 sec @ Drachten with eCtune

S95Sedan

Post by S95Sedan »

Bindegal wrote:Looks like an elaborate throttle body of some sort to me.... very interesting! /Allan
Correct ;) Roller barrel throttle bodies. Four of these are going to replace the current GSXR-1000 Throttle Body setup. WOT should be supreme because of the new ones not having a throttle plate but instead rotating the centerpiece. Current set will be equal of flowing about the same as 45mm normal throttle bodies would but with less restriction and less turbulence in the runners, combined with RDX injectors netting more hp's and should theoretically outflow most other setups.

cyanide

Post by cyanide »

Haha, that is radical stuff :shock: Good luck with the same, hope to see updates on this. Also, let me know if you need CAD drawings of the D series flange.

S95Sedan

Post by S95Sedan »

cyanide wrote:Haha, that is radical stuff :shock: Good luck with the same, hope to see updates on this. Also, let me know if you need CAD drawings of the D series flange.
Thanks :) If posible, that would save me quite alot of time getting all measurements.

cyanide

Post by cyanide »

Cool. Give me a few hours, my desktop power supply decided to die this morning, so I'm fumbling with stuff. I think I have a backup on one of my old phones, trying to find it now...

S95Sedan

Post by S95Sedan »

Short mockup in solidworks with runners/flange. Thanks cyanide for the drawing of the flange! Flange: Image (Still have to add the injector oprts on there, waiting for my rdx injectors so i can do the measurements) Image Image

cyanide

Post by cyanide »

Where do you plan on putting the injectors? And how big are those throttle bodies? Will they rotate using lubrication between the inside and outside \"sections\"?