Need advice: Auto transmission in a D series engine 1992 car

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

hannson
http://phpbb3styles.net

Need advice: Auto transmission in a D series engine 1992 car

Post by hannson »

Hi, I've a 1992 Esi Auto transmission car, and the original engine is D16B (VTEC). I've since replaced it with a D15Z6 (VTEC). What hardware must I get before I can get eCtune going? :) The original ECU is a P28 OBD1 (and I've not changed it). I do not know if my car has a separate TCU for the Auto trans, or if it uses hydraulics for it. Is there a way to find out? Can I buy a chipped P28 ECU that is ready for eCtune? My main concern is my auto trans. I've read a few posts similar to this.. but still end up confused. Cheers!

combz

Post by combz »

just get your ecu socketed. if your good at soldering find a guide online how to do it. its already got the vtec components, so all you need is the socketing components. If your not good at it...get someone to do it who is. i dont think you have a separate ecu for your trans that you have to worry about for runing ectune. you need an ostrich to run ectune though, or moates demon.

hannson

Post by hannson »

combz wrote:just get your ecu socketed. if your good at soldering find a guide online how to do it. its already got the vtec components, so all you need is the socketing components. If your not good at it...get someone to do it who is. i dont think you have a separate ecu for your trans that you have to worry about for runing ectune. you need an ostrich to run ectune though, or moates demon.
that's sgreat! i wrote to a few online companies selling ostrich/moates demon, but they kept saying it cannot be done on an Auto transmission P28... which was why I posted the query here as well... thanks again for the advice!!

xenocron
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by xenocron »

It cant be done...there is no separate TCU and the program you will be uploading into the ECU has no provisions for controlling anything auto.
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

g.t engineering

Post by g.t engineering »

if the tranny is not electronic it should work

IntegraVTEC

Post by IntegraVTEC »

I hate to bring this back from the dead... Everything will work fine since the car is shifted by itself. The only problem is you wont have any lockup. I'm currently trying to find an alternate solution with my car being a 95 Civic D16Z6 Auto. Is it possible to code a seperate rom with an auto string to control the auto outputs of the ECU? I know the ECU does a little more than just Torque Convertor lockup because when I upload a non-honda rom to my car the torque convertor wont lock, and the safety solenoid on the shifter wont open to allow me to pull the gear selector out of park. I just uploaded a P30 rom in crome to a chip and test drove and it functioned just like stock. Either way I can make it work with the old stuff because that's how we did it back in the day but it'd still be nice to have all the bells and whistles or at least some of them since the auto portion would take up some space on the rom.
James Short '00 Camaro Z28 10.37@132 NA 9.64@143 150 shot www.ShorTuning.com