Wideband alternate setup, need your thoughts?

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Hybridizer
http://phpbb3styles.net

Wideband alternate setup, need your thoughts?

Post by Hybridizer »

So I was planning to take the AEM UEGO wideband out of my hatch and put in my daily driver SI over the winter to fine tune the maps since it won't be in use. Then I got thinking of a cheap long term solution. Couldn't I just purchase a 5 wire wideband o2 element wire it in as stock and then just us a crappy air/fuel autometer gauge I've got laying around for a visual check, and then get the actual AFR numbers while tuning on ectune since it's always shown on the display? Am I missing something? IS there some sort of converter box that changes the signal? Sounds like a decent option if you already have datalogging setup, and a very old dusty a/f gauge laying around. The o2's cost about 80 bucks I think? Sound better than spending a second 300+ on another fancy gauge and wideband. A cheap autometer would be able to read accurately if hooked up to a wideband yes? Just not display the number.

Hybridizer

Post by Hybridizer »

Further research looks like I do have to have a controller the element itself doesn't make the magic happen. :(

marshall.hagen

Post by marshall.hagen »

You can always get a JAW for an affordable WBO2 controller. Although I usually recommend PLX, the few JAW units I have used have worked reliably...