bottom dollar turbo fab thread

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

dbsharp
http://phpbb3styles.net

bottom dollar turbo fab thread

Post by dbsharp »

This is a pretty low budget build I put together. I have spent right under $800 to convert my car from NA to boosted. Parts I got for free from my buddy Errol: This stuff was part of his old setup. I am building and tuning his new setup and it should be pretty stout. Ill post it up when its done. I just cannot convert the guy to ectune, he is stuck on hondata for some reason. Holset HY35W type-D turbo JDM FMIC Tail Knock off wastegate Waste gate dump tube parts Front torque mount for a suburu. Parts that I am designing/fabricating for this build: Ram horn turbo manifold Downpipe BOV mount tube Front motormount brackets Turbo braces Wastegate dump tube Parts I bought, not including all the minor BS: Turbosmart BOV. Got this for $40! 2.5\" intercooler Charge pipes and couplers Down pipe parts Weirtech flanges for the manifold K&N filter Image Image Image Every tool in the garage gets used at some time, even the fishing rod... By the way this didn't work that great. The metal of the manifold only got up to ~170 deg after running for quite a while. Image Image Image Image Image Image I expect this to make 250 to 300 WHP once it is done. I have dsm 450cc injectors and a somewhat small intercooler. If I want to get more power out of this setup later, I could upgrade these parts and crank up the boost!

buntinboy9

Post by buntinboy9 »

any update on this and where did you get that filter?
1994 Honda Accord w/ t25 set up @ 6psi

TopMountGSR
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by TopMountGSR »

Looks good, I have a few questions for you. On the manifold, what is the tubing made out of? Mild steel 16gauge, stainless sch 10, sch 40 etc? You did a good job on it. What are you welding it with? MIG, TIG, Stick? Your going to like that Holset turbo, I have one on my dodge that I'd love to see on a honda build of ours. It amazes me how long they last at such high boost levels. What car is that, accord, prelude? the head lights look like ITR head lights and the grill matches but the engine bay looks like an accord or lude. Thanks for your time, DK
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Nice work! I love seeing budget builds :). Shows peoples true creativeness. You should check turbod16 for my \"$125 turbo kit\". literally. I used a handfull of old turbo junk, we picked a turbo from a yard ourselves, and got creative with the oiling system/piping as well :)
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

dbsharp

Post by dbsharp »

Thanks guys. Its a 94 accord. Ill get to the update in a minute. Ill answer questions first. The filter is a k&n I searched their site for the size I needed. The mounting of the filter is complicated Ill post up a picture of the mounting when I snap a pic of it. Basically I used a 3.5\" OD pcv pipe, 4\" ID silicone coupler, and the filter which has a 3.5\" ID. On the manifold, I used sch40 mild steel because it is locally available. I had my choice between using a mig welder with no gas and flux core, or a stick welder. I chose the stick welder for the manifold. Now that I have made friends with a guy who has a tig welder, I will never use anything else. I have gone over the stick welds with the tig and there are many imperfections. Not to mention that the stick welds look crappy. I even had someone say they look like bird shit! LOL. UPDATE: Well the motor spun a rod bearing. It was about time too! The motor had been knocking slightly for a year. The metal shavings destroyed the already messed up turbo. So now I am building a motor, putting a new turbo on it and I went through the tranny and I am fixing some things in it too.

dbsharp

Post by dbsharp »

Now for some more pictures. Image Image Image Image Image My fresh painted block! Image Now for some lsd damage pics! OBX quality! Image Image Image Image There used to be 6 washers in the diff.... ALL worm gears have significant wear. One washer retainer is broken -All because of miss assembly.... So now I have called in a favor and have submitted my CAD drawing to a local machine shop. I am going to get the part cnc laser cut and cnc milled for free!

darin

Post by darin »

nice red band saw i have a blue one that looks almost the same.
10.583 @ 137.00 a6/y8 d-series 50 trim

dbsharp

Post by dbsharp »

More progress. Image I love the lighting on this photo! Image Image Image Image Image Image

dbsharp

Post by dbsharp »

Its running! Image Image At 6.7 psi I am running about 75% duty cycle on my dsm 450cc injectors. I'm guessing that its somewhere in the neighborhood of 250whp. hopefully Ill be able to take it to the track or dyno soon.

thething96

Post by thething96 »

dbsharp, I have the exact same vehicle as you( accord lx, 5 speed). How exactly did you manage to use that h23 head with your f22 block? I've read some threads on people who have done it, but no one seems to give out exact info. I'm planning on going turbo with this setup. Will converting the f22 head to an h23 head be that much better? My goal is also around 250 whp. I really like your setup, nice, clean and functional. Good job!!!!!

dbsharp

Post by dbsharp »

Its not a h23 head. The motor is 100% f22b dohc. I used to use a h23 head on this block. You have to fill part of the head with grey rtv to make it seal. After a while it started leaking on me though. If you want to find swap guides to tell you step by step how to put a h23 head on a f22 check out cb7tuner.com, there are many threads on it there. For your goals the head you have now is fine. I would recommend getting a f22a head if you want to get something better. They flow wonderfully and are pretty cheep. It also matches your block.