ls/vtec build need some input

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Negrodamus
http://phpbb3styles.net

ls/vtec build need some input

Post by Negrodamus »

ok well to start off i am building an ls/vetc setup for NA my setup consist of. GSR Head(stock ports,stock cams,stock valves) REV dual valve springs and retainers CTR spec pistons eagle rods ls crank stock GSR manifold (with a few tricks) skunk2 throttle body GSR tranny Hytech replica headers would this do me any justice on eCtune and will i have clearance from the piston to head contact? anybody please feel free to put some input on this thanks
Im feling like im back

98vtec

Post by 98vtec »

justice...of course. using an engine management on any engine is worth it. As far as the block setup, i am not sure. There are some really savy B series tuners on here so hopefully they will post up and help you out. Good luck!
eCtune Authorized Tuner Blake Barr Pensacola, FL XXX Performance - In House DynoJet 850-457-DYNO

Negrodamus

Post by Negrodamus »

98vtec wrote:justice...of course. using an engine management on any engine is worth it. As far as the block setup, i am not sure. There are some really savy B series tuners on here so hopefully they will post up and help you out. Good luck!
ok cool thanks
Im feling like im back

thething96

Post by thething96 »

NEGRODAMUS?? really? you seem more like a rick james to me!!!

Negrodamus

Post by Negrodamus »

H
thething96 wrote:NEGRODAMUS?? really? you seem more like a rick james to me!!!
Oooooookay Its a random ass name Thanks for the input Smh
Im feling like im back

9400RPMS

Post by 9400RPMS »

you realize your compression is throught the roof right? CTR pistons are not the choice of piston anymore specially after all the understanding of them they are a very heavy piston to start, and not only thing, they do distort the combustion process.. with that said, i'd go to a p30 if your sticking to oem pistons. 14.3 is where u stand now using a oem 3 layer HG and only reving to 8k
DDTech | DDTECHCAMS.COM

xenocron
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by xenocron »

Yeah, had a customer bring me one of these recently... CTR pistons in an LS block = NO GOOD, too much compression
Regards, Xenocron Tuning Solutions eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Ringwood, NJ / Hillburn, NY U.S.A. www.xenocron.com DIY ECU Chipping, Fuel Management Parts and more...

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

The too much compression issue... The issue isn't directly that the compression is too high.. What causes the problem (with the honda group) is that the dome interfears with the combustion.. If you wanna go high compression and make great power, you need to reduce combustion chamber size and use a flat top piston.. The V8 guys do this sorta stuff alot, I think its still a new concept to the honda world.. My old B16 made 256HP @ around 14.5:1 compression.. Theres so much missunderstanding with N/A stuff in the community. But in the OP case, I agree its gonna be a pain to deal with .. Had a customer recently with a simular setup, came to me from dallas to get a tune and I had to send him home on C16 :O ... Its not very often that the compression is so high I can't tune around it on pump.. I convinced him to change his setup to run E85 once he got home and his problem was solved lol .. So if you have E85 or simular near by, this would be a good soultion to whats gonna be a problem for you.. If not, then I'd change the setup.
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

ninezeroteg

Post by ninezeroteg »

Bugermass wrote:convinced him to change his setup to run E85 once he got home and his problem was solved lol .. So if you have E85 or simular near by, this would be a good soultion to whats gonna be a problem for you.. If not, then I'd change the setup.
Yea, the E85 is working out great. The biggest downsides to running it are the cold starts on colder days and it takes about 30% more fuel than gasoline. Other than that, really good stuff.

phatintegra

Post by phatintegra »

I done the LS/VTEC depends what your future plan to stay all motor or boosting. If your boosting the CTR piston is to high on compression. Also you will need ARP bolts/head studs. LS/VTEC conversion kit (oil line, oil adapter, head gasket, etc). T-belt, water pump and oil pump off a GSR or ITR.