ignition setups for forced induction?

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

jpjackson
http://phpbb3styles.net

ignition setups for forced induction?

Post by jpjackson »

i am just curious in this mater. i am running a SOHC ZC with eagle rods and vitaras and a xs power t3, my question is, is anyone using the stock ignition system? i am running a msd 6al btm on the stock internal coil, i was running a msd blaster ss external coil but about 2 months ago it craped out, so i hooked up the msd box to the stock internal coil and its been working fine since. about 4 days ago i hoped in my car to go to work and i let her warm up to full operating temp like i always do and i left the house, when i pulled out of my neighborhood if went through 1st and 2nd lightly without hitting boost and when i hit 3rd i got into about 5 lbs of boost and i got that ign breakup feeling like when my msd coil took a crap, i let off the gas and cruised for a minuet and tried it again and it didn't happen again, so i didnt think anything else about it. well this morning it did it again but alot more, my coolant temp was at 180 when i pulled out of my driveway and out of my neighborhood it did it like 5 times and then when it warmed all the way up it didnt do it any more, so i dont know if the msd is causing coils to go bad or what. so i guess my question is can i do without the msd box and just run the stock ignition system without any problems? also, when it does act up it is after it rains, but i inspected the cap and dissy and nothing is wet, and the msd box is sealed, all of my electrical conections are dry so i dont know.
Universal Technical Institute Hot rod University graduate ASE Master Certified Automotive Tech Honda and Acura factory certified 9 years and counting in the automotive field

sohcd16y8

Post by sohcd16y8 »

As a quick answer, 99% of people run stock ignition without a single issue.

jpjackson

Post by jpjackson »

10-4, thats all i needed to know. anyone else have incite on this?
Universal Technical Institute Hot rod University graduate ASE Master Certified Automotive Tech Honda and Acura factory certified 9 years and counting in the automotive field

TopMountGSR
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by TopMountGSR »

Most of the cheaper msd stuff is complete junk. There is plenty of 700+whp honda's on a 100% stock ignition.
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

Last year I saw a 800hp crx that even had stock plug wires! They must have been like 10 years old or so. It didnt had any misfire so the stock stuff is perfect capable of handling big power.
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

fah

Post by fah »

i think you need to check the gap on your spark plugs.
Regards, Marlon Chong eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Jamaica/Australia chong_marlon(at)yahoo.com (876)-881-8164 JA (61)-4-0275-3611 AUS

ge0ne

Post by ge0ne »

And another question alittle off- topic. How many rpm do you think the stock ignition can handle? On a N/A motor.
Regards, George Nerantzis diasiq eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: All over Greece

elevation

Post by elevation »

ge0ne wrote:And another question alittle off- topic. How many rpm do you think the stock ignition can handle? On a N/A motor.
valve float would be a problem before the ignition broke up.
regards eCtune authorized tuner eCtune team Colorado Springs, CO- USA elevationauto.com

jpjackson

Post by jpjackson »

if it were a plug gap problem it would happen all the time, it is a intermittent problem, it only does it when the ect is at like 170, not in boost, and me being really easy on it because it is not warmed up completely. i am using ngk v-power 7 heat range gapped at the stock spec. so i just need to remove the msd box and my problem should be solved.