Det Cans

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Vtec6000
http://phpbb3styles.net

Det Cans

Post by Vtec6000 »

What are people using to listen for det/knock? Is there any off the shelf products available at a reasonable price?

jpjackson

Post by jpjackson »

whats up dude? i have what is called a chassis ear. http://www.steelmantools.com/Noise_And_ ... ection.htm check this link out. it is a very useful tool, i use mine all of the time, it has 6 alligator clips with microphones built in to them and then attached to i think like 15 foot wires with a hear phone plug on the other end and then it has a control box to plug them all into and you can select between the 6 different mics. i have used it a couple of times on my engine to listen in, on my d block it has all of those reinforcement ribs on on it and you can just clip them on, 3 on the front and 3 on the back. i paid $175 for mine 2 years ago, but i am sure you can find one cheaper online somewhere.
Attachments
chassis ear.JPG
chassis ear.JPG (20.24 KiB) Viewed 5066 times
Universal Technical Institute Hot rod University graduate ASE Master Certified Automotive Tech Honda and Acura factory certified 9 years and counting in the automotive field

Synoptic
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Synoptic »

Interesting, but it doenst say it is sensible enough to hear pinging.
Synoptic Tuning Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

jpjackson

Post by jpjackson »

i am saying that though. i use mine mainly for finding suspension squeaks and rattles but i have also used it on my engine and it is sensitive enough to hear pinging, the volume is adjustable. i know from experience. i would work far better than using a home made det can
Universal Technical Institute Hot rod University graduate ASE Master Certified Automotive Tech Honda and Acura factory certified 9 years and counting in the automotive field

Vtec6000

Post by Vtec6000 »

Patrick, thanks once again. You seem to have all the answers dude 8)

jpjackson

Post by jpjackson »

well i dont know everything but i will try to help any way i can

naturalalloy

Post by naturalalloy »

I have used a chassis ear for listening for detonation for years with great success. I used to use it dyno tuning STIs and was able pick up knock just before the factory KS would, logging into a UTEC or protuner. I mostly use it on the street now and have one of the clamps taken apart and bolted to my block. If you get headphones that block more outside noise (over the ear style) than the ones it comes with you will be able to hear very, very minor knock easily.

jpjackson

Post by jpjackson »

hell ya, the chassis ear is a great tool. about 8-9 months ago i had a Honda accord come into my shop complaining about a noise that sounded like there was something rolling back and forth across the car when she made turns, well two other techs looked at it and they could not duplicate the noise on the rack, and they both drove it and couldn't find it. the car came back 2 weeks later complaining about the same thing. well i pulled out the old chassis ear and hooked it up across the front cross member and the bumper frame and the cowl area where the wiper linkages are and took it for a drive, the 2 mics i put on the bumper support were the loudest area, so i put the car on my rack and pulled the bumper, and there it was, some one lost a nice 14mm magnetic snap-on socket inside the metal bumper frame and being magnetic it would sometimes stick to something and the noise would stop, but it was rolling across the entire width of the car, and probably would not of found it, (or lost my ass and money taking the car apart to find it)with out that chassis ear. so once again, and some one else is vouching for it, the steel-man chassis ear is a awesome tool to have and with the right headphones it is more than sensitive enough to here detonation, knock, pinging, or what ever you want to call it.

dbsharp

Post by dbsharp »

I made a det can from some copper tubing, shooting ear muffs, and clear braided line. That worked quite well and was very cheep. there is a diy on pgmfi somewhere.

Vtec6000

Post by Vtec6000 »

dbsharp wrote:I made a det can from some copper tubing, shooting ear muffs, and clear braided line. That worked quite well and was very cheep. there is a diy on pgmfi somewhere.
I actually made up just what you have mentioned, works very well 8)

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

I bought a Gizzmo K-mon not to long ago.. Its a really great unit, and I got some bad ass drummer headphones so I can hear really well even over loud ass N/A cars.
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

vtecmangr

Post by vtecmangr »

i am also looking to buy a kit like this but it turned very expensive when i looked on the gizzmo side it was something like 1400 usd? do any have experiense with the steelman kit? its much more price aforable for the diyer