ECU Scanning

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Sireno87
http://phpbb3styles.net

ECU Scanning

Post by Sireno87 »

Hello. I am new to the forums as of today. I am fairly inexperienced with tuning. I had my integra tuned with eCtune around 9 months ago by the guys at ProFunction Automotive in Chicago. My car is a 2000 integra gsr with basic bolt ons including a super charger - no engine work done to it, converted to an OBD1 system. I believe the tune is pretty \"mild\". The tune has been running well until recently. I have recently noticed a drop in mpg. Last time I filled up I was getting 20mpg from mostly freeway driving, about 10mpg lower than usual. I have been getting poor fuel economy but attributed it to a thermostat that was bad which I have since had replaced (so now my car is warming up properly). I have been getting a check engine light that comes on and off recently as well. I brought my car into a shop to have it checked out however they can not hook it up and read the system and the check engine light isn't currently on for them. I had brought my car into an autozone to try and scan it however they only had OBD2 systems. This shop my car is in has OBD1 systems however they can't get their systems to read my car. I was under the impression that it would not be a problem to scan the ecu even though it's tuned. Am I wrong? At the shop they have just reset the ecu, perhaps that'll fix the problem? Should they be able to scan it or is something wrong with so they can't scan it? Thanks, David PS I apologize for my ignorance.

jpjackson

Post by jpjackson »

there is a cool function of ectune and that is: when the check engine light is on turn key on engine off and hold the gas pedal to the floor and the engine light will flash the code. obd 1 is differant than obd2, you have to count the number of flashes, for instance 2 long flashes and 2 short flashes is code 22, 9 short flashes is code 9, and so on, so try that when the light comes on and you can look the code up online
Universal Technical Institute Hot rod University graduate ASE Master Certified Automotive Tech Honda and Acura factory certified 9 years and counting in the automotive field

Sireno87

Post by Sireno87 »

Thank you for the advice. However it seems that the shop just decided to flash the ecu to reset it so if I were to do that now nothing would show up. However if and when the check engine light comes back on I'll know what to do - Thank you. Regarding the idea that the shops OBD1 system can not link up well with my eCtune'ed system - is that normal? I thought it would still link up and scan just fine? Is there something wrong or done incorrectly? Thanks

jpjackson

Post by jpjackson »

yes that is normal, obd1 and obd2 are totally different. all it does is store codes, and if you have the Honda diag connector you can pull limited data from it, but it isn't like obd2 where it would show and do everything. now if you have someone tuning your car for you and it is ectuned, you can get the logger version for free and do it all, read data and codes.
Universal Technical Institute Hot rod University graduate ASE Master Certified Automotive Tech Honda and Acura factory certified 9 years and counting in the automotive field

Sireno87

Post by Sireno87 »

jpjackson wrote:yes that is normal, obd1 and obd2 are totally different. all it does is store codes, and if you have the Honda diag connector you can pull limited data from it, but it isn't like obd2 where it would show and do everything. now if you have someone tuning your car for you and it is ectuned, you can get the logger version for free and do it all, read data and codes.
I'm not sure I understand this clearly. Are you saying/suggesting that I get the logger version so that I can read the data from the ecu? Will that show the codes? As you can tell I am fairly ignorant of tuning in general, and do not have a lot of time in my life to learn and do it myself, thus that is why I had it tuned by an authorized dealer of eCtune just once with a "conservative" tune. However now that I am experiencing problems of some type, what should I do?

jpjackson

Post by jpjackson »

you need to get the extream hulog to do data logging from your ecu, if you go on ectunes web site you can down load free, ectune logger version, it doesnt do anything but data logging and read codes. go to www.xenocron.com and you can get the extream hulog there, you should have a cn2 latch on your ecu already if you have some one tuning it for you. that is where you will plug in the hulog.

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

Sireno87 wrote:the shop just decided to flash the ecu to reset it
Hmmmm.... as in "reflashing the ECU"? as in "overwrite eCtune bin"? If so.... there is just little chance you'll be abletolog with eCtune.

Sireno87

Post by Sireno87 »

Orthello wrote:
Sireno87 wrote:the shop just decided to flash the ecu to reset it
Hmmmm.... as in "reflashing the ECU"? as in "overwrite eCtune bin"? If so.... there is just little chance you'll be abletolog with eCtune.
They just reset the ECU, they didn't overwrite anything. I'll pick up the car today and see how it runs, hopefully that fixed any problem there was...

Orthello

Post by Orthello »

Then thay did 'flash' the ECU. They just have 'reset' it.