Dpfi->obd1 nightmare

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

JaredKaragen
http://phpbb3styles.net

Dpfi->obd1 nightmare

Post by JaredKaragen »

Ok, long story short... I rescued a kid from selling his car... Finally got spark. Ended up having to do the same work 3 times to get spark, cause he tried using some odd harnesses. Now my issue is very strange. It runs.... Barely.... Sputtering, and throwing a few codes: 4 16 21 41 I rewired his dpfi-obd1 jumper harness as to not have to touch the oem chassis harness, instead of running the extra dizzy wires, I used the 2 unused wires from the rywire harness (knock/iab)... Efficent :). To find the cause of code 4, I have tried swappng the pickups between each location... It never fired when it was wired that way. I did a continuity check from each injector plug to the obd1 ecu plug... They check out. The injectors are obd1, so there is a skipped step in the dpfi-mpfi conversion and I just had to wire them all together. When I pinned in the injector plugs, I removed the dpfi plugs at the harness plug and plugged in the +12v, and 1&3 injector wires in place, then hand-ran the other 2 injector wires to the ecu plug. I have tried swapping the dizzy pickup wires with each other... Because backwards does strange things to timing.... And I got no change in condition... I have seriously double and triple checked my dpfi-mpfi conversion, and the obd1 conversion wiring.... Everything checks out. It idles very low... Sputtering a little (like timing is off), and when you drive it... There are split seconds where it has normal power... Otherwise it sputters and runs very funny. Anyone else run into this sort of issue? I swear i've tried everything, and I don't get paid till it is drivable(more drivable than it is now)... Does anyone have a no-bs pin-2-pin diagram/chart of the obd0->obd1 jumper harness so I can see if it is indeed as it should be? This would be to confirm the dizzy pickup wiring.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

I have done a couple of conversions in which I simply replaced the OBD0 plugs with OBD1 ones. Comparing OBD0 vs OBD1 pinout, transferring one wire at a time. Tedious but effective :) I have a hunch you might be having some ground issues? Make sure you have a really solid ground to all PG wires. Beware of thermostat housings bolted onto painted engine blocks/heads :) /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Yeah, I'm about to start going wire by wire on this car.... Something I don't want to do. I have the 92 civic oem manual... It has a nice schematic on the last page, everything that hooks to the ecu on one schematic.... So I will have to start at each sensor, and ohm the wire to the obd1 plug and see if it's correct... What a waste of hours only to get paid $150.... If it had gone without this wrong harness bs.... It may have been worth it :p I know the mpfi->obd1 jumper harness has been messed with now.... Such a dissipointment. If I had an obd0-obd1 pin to pin list I could do all the checks @ home.... Instead of back and forth on the car with my obd1 schematic. Good news is the obd1 schematic has color codes, which thank god I can atleast confirm the dizzy pin locations.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock