Alternator output changing without an ELD... how???

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Coupe-r
http://phpbb3styles.net

Alternator output changing without an ELD... how???

Post by Coupe-r »

ok I have seen the volts change LIKE AN ON OFF SWTICH from 14.9 volts down to 13.5 ish when logging with my tunerview (using crome) volts on my car drops when the below happens 1: nothing turned on while driving (load below 10amps) 2:speed below 65kph 3:engine speed below 3600rpm 4::coolant above 65C 5:A/C off (don't have) 6:intake above 18C Image and I noticed when i touched the brake pedal they shot back up. And for the life of me I couldn't figure out when i backed off the gas FUEL CUT the volts shot back up. Now i understand. I had thought up a few reasons but the pic abovce answers everything. YES IT IS LIKE AN ON OFF SWITCH between HIGH AND LOW output. ******P.S MY CAR DOES NOT HAVE AN ELD IN THE FUSE BOX***** look at the pic and the eld looks like its the one that monitors electrical load to show load above and below 10A, its all those sensors which send informtion to the ecu then if everything is correct sending signal to the alternator. SOOOOOOO QUESTION: If my car operates in high/low output just as this page describes when I turn on the lights, and rear demist. HOW DOES IT DO THIS WITHOUT AN ELD TO MONITOR THE 10A THING??? Do JDM cars have the ELD under the dash or something???

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Even though there may not be an eld, the ecu can read voltage and know if it's too low or not... I believe the alternator control function in ectune proves this because it's seperate from the eld input... I belied the ecu just adds ground to the altc wire when it feels the alternator needs to output... Which in the rom I would believe to be condition based. The eld is mainly a more finite control of the voltage regulator. I could be wrong, but thats how I understand it to work.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

Coupe-r

Post by Coupe-r »

Ok so basically in that diagram you could swap the ELD 10A monitor for the ECU. Why do USDM need an ELD then? Can be controlled from the ecu. Kinda like JDM don't have a PA sensor, dunno why you need one when the map sensor can sense manifold pressure. I guess the fuel would be off then and the PA may compensate. Strange though cause there are also big mountains in Japan :)

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Coupe-r wrote:Ok so basically in that diagram you could swap the ELD 10A monitor for the ECU. Why do USDM need an ELD then? Can be controlled from the ecu. Kinda like JDM don't have a PA sensor, dunno why you need one when the map sensor can sense manifold pressure. I guess the fuel would be off then and the PA may compensate. Strange though cause there are also big mountains in Japan :)
in japan 90% of the roads are within 1000 ft or so of each other... They see no need for a pa. The pa is just something to compare the manifold pressure to atmospheric pressure. Idk if pa is Used as a trim for things like cold start values, etc.... Usdm uses an eld to make the car auto compensate at idle for load as the alternator kicks on and off, and for more finite control of that function. Us Americans believe in more control by big brother (the ecu), just like our government has been doin :p the charging/idle system works fine without them, but better with them.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

Coupe-r

Post by Coupe-r »

haha ok I see. I agree the charging system works perfectly without an ELD, idle is kept steady when alternator kicks on and off with JDM cars. Maybe i need to test a car with an ELD and see if its slightly smoother with idle up and down conditions? Anyways, this makes the battery offset tables VERY important for tuning as the alternator on/off changes tuning variables. (when tuning it will mostly be in high output mode) unless crusing below 40mph and 3600. This is why i never noticed it much when tuning, unless i was tuning below 3600 and driving slowly.