engine jumps under acceleration + co%/lambda wrong

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Menthos
http://phpbb3styles.net

engine jumps under acceleration + co%/lambda wrong

Post by Menthos »

i got a civic coupe from 94 with a b16a2 engine and ofcourse ectune :) the engine is stock except for the exhaust, toda manifold, 400cells sport cat, apexi ws2 cat-back now for some time it has been running fine, but when i was at the vehicle inspection it failed because of the co% was way too high, about 3,4% in idle and about 0,7% at 2500rpm... the value are supposed to be 0,5% at idle and 0,3% at 2500rpm max. so i ordered a plx wideband and plugged it in the ecu together with a moates demon so i could datalog and calibrate... it turned out that the AFR was a bit low overall, so i tried to change the fuel table value from 500 rpm to 3000rpm at low load, which gave me a better AFR... now my AFR is about the 14,7, so that should be fine.... right now i use the wideband as closed-loop input so next time i went to the vehicle inspection, i drove a trip to warm up the engine, but when i had full throttle in 3. and 4. gear it started making some jumps, like it didnt ignite or something... it shows clearly in the ectune log... RPM drops from 5000 to 28 in 1 frame and VSS drops to 0 and so on.... but still i drove to the vechicle inspection to get the pollution test made, and somehow the co% was higher than last, eventhough i have given it less fuel??? the co% was varying from 2,5% and up to 5% and the lambda value was about 0,94... to better explain what happend i have included the .cal and datalog file... if you look at frame 27096 and 27097 you can really see the big difference... i have tried to upload the old .cal file that worked before, but the engine still jumps, just at another rpm level....
Attachments
TESTdrive2005010.elf
(3.85 MiB) Downloaded 157 times
eCt.base273test.cal
(8.19 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

Menthos

Post by Menthos »

bump... postfuel activates each time the jump happens... what does that mean?

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

That almost sounds like the ecu is resetting.... Co2 is a direct corelation to afr (on a smog machine), normally you will see about 14-15.2 co2 in the reading.... O2 in their reading needs to be low; probably under a percent... It could be a problem of plug type/heat and or timing values... What are the rest of the readings on your smog sheet? Remember: the wideband reads o2: not hc's, fuel, or co2. If I were you I would leave the ecu in open loop, and get the afr's correct, and the readings won't be skewed from the ecu leaning/richening the mixture.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

Menthos

Post by Menthos »

JaredKaragen wrote:That almost sounds like the ecu is resetting.... Co2 is a direct corelation to afr (on a smog machine), normally you will see about 14-15.2 co2 in the reading.... O2 in their reading needs to be low; probably under a percent... It could be a problem of plug type/heat and or timing values... What are the rest of the readings on your smog sheet? Remember: the wideband reads o2: not hc's, fuel, or co2. If I were you I would leave the ecu in open loop, and get the afr's correct, and the readings won't be skewed from the ecu leaning/richening the mixture.
in the datalog file i have attached in the first post you can see it all... i have had the ecu in open loop when i adjusted the AFR and it should be fine...

Menthos

Post by Menthos »

i have read something about the ignition causing alot of problems, well i use the stock ignition, but the spark plug wires are some after market... i believe its theese: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95-HO ... ccessories could they cause the problem with the engine \"jumps\"? now that i think about it, the jumps has started to happen after i installed the demon... before i only had a chip but i replaced it with the demon to be able to tune easier...

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

I don't have access to my tuning laptop; or I would look.. But by description it sounds like the demon is resetting itself, or sending the ecu a reset command... The deamon from my gathering by now, seems to be suceptable to emi moreso than other moates products... Aftermarket wires could theoretically cause this, but I can't be certain without personally viewing the log; but my gut says it is the demon resetting and causing the 'hiccup'.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

Put like 46-50 degree of timing in the areas that will be tested and this should drastically lower your CO. Also, you have to have a cat thats actually functional. OR, you can retune your car on E85 for a day or so ;)
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

Menthos

Post by Menthos »

JaredKaragen wrote:I don't have access to my tuning laptop; or I would look.. But by description it sounds like the demon is resetting itself, or sending the ecu a reset command... The deamon from my gathering by now, seems to be suceptable to emi moreso than other moates products... Aftermarket wires could theoretically cause this, but I can't be certain without personally viewing the log; but my gut says it is the demon resetting and causing the 'hiccup'.
i have attached pictures of the graph and data for both frames at the frame where the value goes down, the MIL light goes on but doesnt show in data and no error code i sometimes have problems with the demon falling out when i datalog, last time it happend just after i stopped the log and saved it... then i have to replug the demon in the usb port to be able to use it again...
Bugermass wrote:Put like 46-50 degree of timing in the areas that will be tested and this should drastically lower your CO. Also, you have to have a cat thats actually functional. OR, you can retune your car on E85 for a day or so
alright i could try that, but would it be a viable solution to run with or just for the test and then set the values back? my cat should be fine, its a almost new 400cells high flow cat
Attachments
frame 27096.png
frame 27096.png (318.32 KiB) Viewed 5052 times
frame 27097.png
frame 27097.png (320.3 KiB) Viewed 5052 times
frame 27096 graph.png
frame 27096 graph.png (230.92 KiB) Viewed 5052 times

Menthos

Post by Menthos »

hmmm today i have unmounted the ECU and took off the top so i could see the diode on the demon while driving, i also made a little experiment on my spark plug wires... (tin foil covering the wires) so i went for a drive to test if the stuff had made any change, and i actually couldn't get it to \"jump\" like it did before.... the engine was running fine, but the datalog was not.. my ectune didn't refresh the numbers but the program didn't froze... it said it was connected to emulator and datalogger... and even when the car was in idle, i couldn't datalog for long :(
Attachments
DSC00912.JPG
DSC00912.JPG (329.92 KiB) Viewed 5047 times

Gaskleppie
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Gaskleppie »

You got a restarting ecu! Post fuel indicates that. The most common reason for this is electrical interference or bad ground. So you can check for bad grounds. Besides that I often see that closed loop via a PLX often gives problems. A partner of mine had he same issues with the Dutch smogtest. He got sick and tired from it because of the too high CO levels. Then he changed the wideband for a stock Honda lambda sensor and all problems were gone!
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: The Netherlands

Menthos

Post by Menthos »

Gaskleppie wrote:You got a restarting ecu! Post fuel indicates that. The most common reason for this is electrical interference or bad ground. So you can check for bad grounds. Besides that I often see that closed loop via a PLX often gives problems. A partner of mine had he same issues with the Dutch smogtest. He got sick and tired from it because of the too high CO levels. Then he changed the wideband for a stock Honda lambda sensor and all problems were gone!
well after i put the tin foil on the spark plug wires, i haven't had problems with the post fuel / the engine jumps, so now i will try to see if the problem omes back when i remove the foil again... and if it does, i will go buy some new wires... have been looking a little at the magnecor KV85... are they any good? they claim to have good EMI proteciton... my biggest problem right now is that i can't datalog!! my demon connects fine on startup and emulator + datalog works, but datalog just stalls after short time.... anyone tried this, or got a solution for it? i have installed the 2 ferrites that come with the demon... i have an almost brand new OEM lambda sensor, so maybe i should try and use that next time... :) thanks for the respons!

Vtec6000

Post by Vtec6000 »

Sounds like maybe there is a problem with your Demon board. How old is it?

Menthos

Post by Menthos »

its only about a month old... i have wrote an email to moates but haven't received a reply, yet...

Menthos

Post by Menthos »

bump