B20vtec engine damage

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

EITCP
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>
http://phpbb3styles.net

B20vtec engine damage

Post by EITCP »

engine configuration: 85x89mm darton sleeves, honed with 320 stone endyn rollerwaves mid comp LR supertech high comp pistons crower longer rods gsr head skunk2 pro2 cams TWM ITBS tuned on european 100octane RON fuel 8similar as US 94PON). AFR tuned full throttle 13.1:1, on the top 12.6:1, mid throttle 13.5:1, low throttle 14.7AFR ignition tables are attached the car drive 3000miles then customer heard piston slap. then they open the engine and see this damage what could vent wrong? if you see low cam timing map you see where i had to take away a lot of timing as the car detonate because of high compression. the car was tuned on a mustang dyno (in house) in steady state cell by cell. i presume the car had compresion higher than 13:1. the customer now wanna money back, but i feel this can't be my fault as the car run so many miles with no problem. The problem arise from one day he was at some honda event and he used launch control long time (few minutes) where it cuts of the spark and you hear this loud bang noise and fire out from exhaust. This was not real antilag, only spark cut, no additional fuel or timing retard. could this damage the engine like that?
Attachments
fer1.JPG
fer1.JPG (241.59 KiB) Viewed 8532 times
---------------------------------- TUNERC team eCtune Authorised Tuner for Slovenia Passed ACP course at EFI University in Temecula, CA, November 07

EITCP

Post by EITCP »

high cam timing map
Attachments
fer2.JPG
fer2.JPG (233.07 KiB) Viewed 8531 times
---------------------------------- TUNERC team eCtune Authorised Tuner for Slovenia Passed ACP course at EFI University in Temecula, CA, November 07

EITCP

Post by EITCP »

cylinder damage
Attachments
mu1.JPG
mu1.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 8529 times

EITCP

Post by EITCP »

here you can see cal file (map).
Attachments
ferlicB20ITB440ccPRO2-NEW.cal
(8.19 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

David974

Post by David974 »

Hi it seems like a bad injector on the first cylinder (different color) could you post a pic of the head and piston from the top and spark plugs,t just o see if it had detonation issue if the car run great for 3000 miles why would you refund him some money, it is his fault

ge0ne

Post by ge0ne »

I ran a similar engine in my car, and my high cam ignition map is 18.5 degrees with same cams so it can be safe. See the color on the outer circle of the piston? it is a dead spot. You need to bore the cylinder head to match the piston. Open to discussion.
Regards, George Nerantzis diasiq eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: All over Greece

EITCP

Post by EITCP »

could this be the result of extensive use of launch control option with only spark cut? He was at one honda event(meeting) and he liked this bang bang sound and fire from the exhaust and as far i know he used this launch all the time. From that day he heard piston slap. the car had no antilag enabled, no ignition retard and no additional fuel at launch. Only launch control by TPS engage and for limiter it was spark cut. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KanJvji ... r_embedded here you can see the movie (the second white integra with mugen wing. From that day he heard this piston slap.

9400RPMS

Post by 9400RPMS »

I run the exact AFR wot as you. i'm on a 13.0CR daily driven on 93 oct...on pro2's. thats not a tuning factor, infact i'm running 3 more degrees then you are up top ..if you'd like to see my cal i can share with you too..
DDTech | DDTECHCAMS.COM

9400RPMS

Post by 9400RPMS »

thx for sharing bin, lmao i wanna throw some flames like that.. why is your cal all fucked up lol..?
DDTech | DDTECHCAMS.COM

TopMountGSR

Post by TopMountGSR »

Any more pictures of the tops of the pistons? What shape were they in? Are there pits and chunks taken out of the tops of the pistons? Was the damage just in the cylinder walls and piston skirts? If so I'd be interested to know what the piston to wall clearance [PWC] was. From the looks of the cylinder walls it looks to may have had to tight of a PWC. Nothing about your timing map looks aggressive, and your air fuels were just fine. Sometimes its hard for tuners to deal with problems like this but you must understand man, if you are successfully tuning the majority of the hondas, you will see the most failures. I've dealt with this as well and around here I tune just about every fast turbo honda that exist and I have seen quite a few part failures and problems. Hope this helps, DK
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image

TopMountGSR

Post by TopMountGSR »

Also learn the uses of the various axis interpolate buttons, how and when to use them. If you use them properly, you do not fight your fuel maps. You can just shape a few columns, interpolate X axis, and you have a whole new perfectly shaped symmetrical map. Example in a boosted app: Need more fuel up top, add 10-20% to the last column say 20psi column, shape it smooth, shape say the 2psi column smooth. Highlight 2psi - 20psi, interpolate x axis. In time you will figure out how much percent = how much of a swing in air fuels. You can manipulate the fuel curves to match what the engine wants with ease if you only messing with a few columns. This is exactly how I tune cars now, It takes me longer to install the wideband than it does to tune out the fuel maps using this method. The cars will also run 10x smoother on a symmetrical map. Learning how to make the car run on a smooth and even map is were it is at to say the least. Hope this helps, DK
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image

kBS

Post by kBS »

TopMountGSR wrote:Also learn the uses of the various axis interpolate buttons, how and when to use them. If you use them properly, you do not fight your fuel maps. You can just shape a few columns, interpolate X axis, and you have a whole new perfectly shaped symmetrical map. Example in a boosted app: Need more fuel up top, add 10-20% to the last column say 20psi column, shape it smooth, shape say the 2psi column smooth. Highlight 2psi - 20psi, interpolate x axis. In time you will figure out how much percent = how much of a swing in air fuels. You can manipulate the fuel curves to match what the engine wants with ease if you only messing with a few columns. This is exactly how I tune cars now, It takes me longer to install the wideband than it does to tune out the fuel maps using this method. The cars will also run 10x smoother on a symmetrical map. Learning how to make the car run on a smooth and even map is were it is at to say the least. Hope this helps, DK
Cool tip! What injectors? at how much psi? The cyl 1 wasn´t working properly since a long time, It hasn´t the same carbon at the top of the cylinder How much whp?