Intake Ait Temps are getting REALLY high on hot days...

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Hybrid96EK
http://phpbb3styles.net

Intake Ait Temps are getting REALLY high on hot days...

Post by Hybrid96EK »

Somewhat brief history... D16Y8, 9:1 compression, spoolin log, T3/T4 57 trim, stock 99-00 SI dual core radiator, 3\" downpipe, Edelbrock intercooler, A/C components removed, 180 degree t-stat. Im logging anywhere between 120 on 90 degree days to around 150 degress on 100 degree days in traffic. Cruising on the highway today I was holding pretty consistant at 133-135 degrees. This was doing 80mph. Engine coolant temps showed 202 degrees as well. The car seems to \"warm up\" to around 190 degrees. Once I get on it it goes to 202 and holds. This seems fairly consistant weather its a 90 degree or 100 degree day. I'm not too concerned about coolant temps, but I am worried about the intake temps. I have the turbo filter mounted directly behind the radiator overflow bottle drawing air in from under the hood in this area. The intake temp probe is connected to this pipe, so its not really reading a \"true\" intake temp (air temperature after it passes through the intercooler)... I was thinking about mounting the sensor into the charge pipe pre throttle body. Was wondering if this is what most people with boosted Hondas are doing? Also, any ideas on a good way to get the filter to draw cooler air? I was thinking mounting the filter lower by the tranny mount, but perhaps the heat rising from the road would be worse then under the hood? I thought about spacing the hood off the hinges also to draw heat from under the hood out. What kinds of things are you guys doing to combat these issues?

Vtec6000

Post by Vtec6000 »

Yes you should have the IAT sensor fitted in charge pipe close to t.b.

Maddog20

Post by Maddog20 »

Yes, you need to mount your IAT sensor in the charge piping before the TB. You have a PM

dcletten

Post by dcletten »

so having one mounted in the IM in stock location (eg skunk 2 mani where its bolted in to cyl 1 runner) is a no go?

Hybrid96EK

Post by Hybrid96EK »

dcletten wrote:so having one mounted in the IM in stock location (eg skunk 2 mani where its bolted in to cyl 1 runner) is a no go?
I don't think thats the message being sent here. The thing is on the Y8 intake manifold, there is no place to put the IAT sensor... So with that said, its easier to pop a hole in my charge pipe and put it there then it would be to make it work on the manifold. See what I am saying? I guess if the Skunk2 has a place for it on the D series manifold, put it there.

Bugermass
<font color=gray>Site Admin</font><br><font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bugermass »

Its better to have the sensors in the charge pipe, than in the manifold. having the sensor in the manifold will cause it to read high due to heatsoak from the hot manifold.
Chris Delgado Tun'd Performance Houston Texas 713-962-8262

dcletten

Post by dcletten »

Bugermass wrote:Its better to have the sensors in the charge pipe, than in the manifold. having the sensor in the manifold will cause it to read high due to heatsoak from the hot manifold.
ok, ive been reading alot on that and that seems to be the general consensus. mines in the mani, but can just as easily be plated and put in the charge pipe so no biggie

Hybrid96EK

Post by Hybrid96EK »

Little follow up. I drilled a hole in the charge pipe, got my OBD1 intake temp sensor and stuck a nice sized oring beind it. Clamped it on both sides for an air tight seal. Changed the connector on the harness then went for a spin. It was, according to the weather man, 80 degrees outside at this time. I was logging temperatures around 83 degrees on the intake side with casual cruising. I jumped on the highway and made three third gear pulls at WOT. Intake temps never exceeded 88 degrees. After cruising a bit, they seemed to settle down to approx 86 degrees. Coolant temps did rise after the WOT pulls to approx 202 degrees, which is where I was seeing them before. Looks like I have the intake temp \"problem\" under control. On an interesting note, I was able to confirm the boost controller is lying. Its been reading 10psi as the peaks, so I assumed I was running 10psi. After seeing the \"10.49\" column populate in ECTune, I just assumed it was true and my boost gauge was crap since it was only showing me 8psi. Well, after logging my highway pulls, ECTune clearly shows 8.5psi. I am assuming that because it is \"between\" the two columns, that its populating the 10.49 field as well in the A/F log chart. Not bad considering how strong the car feels to be only running 8.5psi.