What Would Class As High IAT's?

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

12sec1/4
http://phpbb3styles.net

What Would Class As High IAT's?

Post by 12sec1/4 »

Just a quick question, I was data logging the other day and noticed that around town the IAT's were sitting around 65*c. Now probabley nothing to worry about and it was mainly down to heat soak and a hot day. Also as soon as I got moving they dropped as expected. Now. What would be a temp that started you thinking about retarding timing? I did have a search but couldnt find anything on this subject. You guys already know all this stuff but im still learning! Thanks, Paul
My Car Is A Hybrid; It Burns Petrol And It Burns Rubber.

honda69

Post by honda69 »

good question i'd like to know too

TopMountGSR
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by TopMountGSR »

If its in a stock location, ex intake manifold, I never pull timing at ~130 degrees because of car's heat soaking in the staging lanes being down on power once they get up to the line because of there high iats. I start pulling it at 150-160 ranges for those setups. If its in the charge piping were it should be, I start pulling it at 130 degrees, as its pretty rare to see those hit the crazy high iat conditions like the stock location will falsely read.
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image

12sec1/4

Post by 12sec1/4 »

Yeah that makes sense... Also made me think about moving my sensor into the charge pipes. I want a true reading for when I log. Is the IAT sensor acurate when moving? The main reason why I ask (apart from being an eager noob with a strong intrest in tuning) Is because I want to get my 5th gear compensators set up. So I need to do some data logging to see what my boost temps are towards the end of 5th... I've blown a motor before doing a 5th gear pull. Not all down to IAT's but still a harsh lesson lernt. I was thinking of activating at over 125mph and retarding cam timing by 1.5 degrees and adding x amount of fuel. X being just enough to have the cooling effect. I will do some pulls, log and experiment! The reason why I say 1.5 degrees retarding is because I was thinking that if I retard it too much then this can put the EGR's up which (so I think) can in turn lead to higher intake temps... (i'll get there in the end). Thanks for the info. I will try to leave the real beginner questions for other forums... Paul.

TopMountGSR
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by TopMountGSR »

No the factory iat in a stock location even while moving is not accurate. Stay away from 5th gear pulls. I always put it back down to wg boost in 5th on most cars I tune. Be careful pulling abnormal amounts of timing. It will roughen up your power curve. Literally, from what I am learning with my dyno, it will create jagged tq and hp curves. Not to mention what it does to your egt's and fuel economy.
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image

dbsharp

Post by dbsharp »

I have never understood what is so bad about a 5th gear pull. The engine is under a load not very dissimilar to what it sees in 4th gear. As long as fuel and timing is right, what could possibly make 5th gear pulls so hard on the motor?

12sec1/4

Post by 12sec1/4 »

As I understand 5th gear is normally held for longer than 4th being the nature of the gear. Hence the build up and rise of intake temps... Higher intake temps = higher chance of det... I understand what you are saying about setting up compensator's. However, that does not and has not been 100% reliable in stopping motors going pop. Not just Honda's either. The the UK we have a competition called Ten of the best. Once a year some of the UK fastest cars meet and thrash it out. Even a lot of the so called \"big boys\" in their Evo's and Skylines shy away from the Top speed run as they have spent too much on their set-ups for it to go in one unlucky run... http://www.totb.co.uk/events/ I had a friend enter this years back and chipped a piston on a top speed run... Hit around 170mph in his CRX and decided to abort.. Whether it was due to heat build up, we don't know.

ashb82

Post by ashb82 »

I drilled and tapped my intercooler on the cold side for my iat. There is a huge differents in temp from there to my stock location. my question is this a accurate place to put the iat sensor.

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

I'd say within 6\" of the intake manifold... This way you get closest charge temp into the engine vs across 'an airspace' before entering the motor.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

12sec1/4

Post by 12sec1/4 »

Also the closer you get it to the inlet manifold the more accurate it will be in picking up things like heat soak.