detonation under full throttle help!

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

r_honda
http://phpbb3styles.net

detonation under full throttle help!

Post by r_honda »

hey iv got a d series a6 block z6 head built forged motor im runnin ectune .. heres my problem iv got the ignition map in low and high cam very low and im still getting detonation thru vtec engagement timing isnt more than 15 deg in boost. i retarted the cam a few degress which took most of it away when i timed this motor since it being a different block from head and i dont have a degree wheel to properly time this motor i have jus been adjusting the cam accordingly to how i hear the motor and how it reacts should i go back another mark on the cam or could there be another underlying issue i am over looking ... any information u have wuold be greatly appriciated. PS- AFR is 11.5 in boost and the motor is on 12 lbs right now thank you, Dayne.
bB Customs

thething96

Post by thething96 »

what spark plugs are you running? what type of fuel?

r_honda

Post by r_honda »

bkr7e ngk . 30 gap 94 octane chevron fuel
bB Customs

rich777

Post by rich777 »

Have you checked your timing with a timing light ?

r_honda

Post by r_honda »

check it witha light im watching it live on ectune as i do pulls
bB Customs

9400RPMS

Post by 9400RPMS »

Gap your plugs down more......
DDTech | DDTECHCAMS.COM

r_honda

Post by r_honda »

.28 ?
bB Customs

r_honda

Post by r_honda »

its also not missing its detonating how would plug gap come into play ?
bB Customs

Bindegal
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by Bindegal »

I don´t see how gap comes into play, however I find it likely that there´s a mechanical reason of some sort. For example, either: 1) Base timing is off. Make sure the TDC mark on the crank is accurate against actual TDC, then check/adjust distributor with a known-good timing gun. eCtune allows you to lock ignition at 16 degrees or whatever as you make those adjustments. 2) Static compression is higher than you think. Only real and true way to check this is by measuring the cc´s of the actual combustion chamber. I once had a customer with a built B16, stroker crank etc. he had been to 3 other shops before me trying to resolve detonating issues. It quickly turned out to be caused by a diesel-like compression ratio :) /Allan
Regards, eCtune Team eCtune Authorized Tuner Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

r_honda

Post by r_honda »

iv got srp 8.5 pistons cr should be 9.1 -9.3 with the a6 block and the z6 head im having troubles finding my tdc cause the deck heights are different so iv been trying to slowly adjust cam 1 deg at a time till the detonation goes away next investment is a degree wheel so i can properly time this motor if i retard cam timing does ignition timing advance or retard ?
bB Customs

12sec1/4

Post by 12sec1/4 »

Ghetto way to check TDC is put a screwdriver down Number 1 whilst turning the crank... You can then eye it up to TDC... Just a case of getting the cams aligned then. *edit* scrap that... It's the cams you can't align... What is your base timing? You havn't mentioned this yet. Just because it says 16* on eCtune does bot mean that is set to 16* using the Dizzy...
My Car Is A Hybrid; It Burns Petrol And It Burns Rubber.

TopMountGSR
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by TopMountGSR »

How do you know its detonating? Do you see it on the plugs? Knock sensor? By sound? You should post the map.
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image

r_honda

Post by r_honda »

isnt the live ignition in my display the ignition that the engine see's ? im not talkin about the value i have in the map .... although the i am at 16 deg base in my map and the live ignition reads the same number
bB Customs

Vtec6000

Post by Vtec6000 »

r_honda wrote:isnt the live ignition in my display the ignition that the engine see's ? im not talkin about the value i have in the map .... although the i am at 16 deg base in my map and the live ignition reads the same number
have you put a timing light on the crank pulley to see if its at 16degrees? just because it says in live window its 16degrees doesn't mean it is if you haven't sync'd your actual timing with timing in software.

RolexTM

Post by RolexTM »

that's the exact point you need to sync your distributor to what the ECU thinks your timing is!