Battery light coming on @ 8800+ rpms

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

9400RPMS
http://phpbb3styles.net

Battery light coming on @ 8800+ rpms

Post by 9400RPMS »

Did a pull today to just check some stuff on a datalog. Redline is set @ 9400rpms CEL shift light @ 8900rpms This is the first time of me ever seeing this.. About 8500rpms rolls around and from 8500-9400rpms, the battery light comes on. On the datalog battery voltage is constant 13.8-13.5 volts New alternator, if i had to guess probably 2 weeks old? I've been having issues with the nut staying tight, so i got a new alternator as i've had a few wires fry because it's been coming undone. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue..?? If i had to guess, maybe the belt is slipping? Its pretty tight , i dont see how. All my grounds are in check and voltage is within spec.
DDTech | DDTECHCAMS.COM

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

Maybe the brushes are chattering at high speed... I've encountered plenty of bad 'good new' parts... Even 12thou warped NEW rotors.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

TopMountGSR
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by TopMountGSR »

Could the belt be slipping? Sounds odd but I have seen it happen with most high rpm hondas. They chew the alternator belts up till you either go with a ati crank pulley, a light weight alt pulley or both. Maybe a shot in the dark, but just tryin to help.
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image

utkuselamoglu

Post by utkuselamoglu »

you can try changing the pulley with a bigger one.
utku selamoglu

9400RPMS

Post by 9400RPMS »

I think i'ma buy a new belt friday just for shits.. Seems like it didn't do it this morning on the way to work. I hooked up my labtop and datalog a few pulls. For whatever reason, i had disable ELD, alternator control. I re-enabled those, as i normally never turn those off, its seem to go away, but i'ma change the belt anyway. Any idea what alternator control does?? i know what ELD does.. but i've never paided attention to the alternator control, i've just always left it on.
DDTech | DDTECHCAMS.COM

utkuselamoglu

Post by utkuselamoglu »

alternator control works at the idle it does not change anything while revving.
utku selamoglu

JaredKaragen

Post by JaredKaragen »

utkuselamoglu wrote:you can try changing the pulley with a bigger one.
the AEM pulleys are awesome... aside from the fact that the alternator pulley only fits the Mitsubishi Alternator (bigger shaft) and those ones are unicorns nowadays... I have specifically tried seeking a new one out and haven't found one yet.
95 Sol Si : D16z6 : TD04H-13C 74 Civic 1200 : 100% Stock

9400RPMS

Post by 9400RPMS »

problem still there. tighten the belt and checked wiring.. still there. i'll try a new belt tomorrow..
DDTech | DDTECHCAMS.COM

Almighty-Si

Post by Almighty-Si »

Roughly how old is the battery?

9400RPMS

Post by 9400RPMS »

Almighty-Si wrote:Roughly how old is the battery?
year or so, never had a problem with it. Came on again this morning, after being fully warmed.. voltage doesn't drop below 13.8 All the way through the power band.. dunno whats up.. rather annoying.
DDTech | DDTECHCAMS.COM