Normal water temperature???

Post and participate in general automotive tech here.

Moderator: Gaskleppie

Boricuanology
http://phpbb3styles.net

Normal water temperature???

Post by Boricuanology »

Anybody know whats the normal operating water temperature on a turbo civic? I have a half size radiator with a 12\" slim fan and according to my mechanical water temp gauge it went up all the way to 210 degree and that's where the fan kicks in. By the way I'm not running a thermostat. Now I have the same radiator/fan set up on my boys EK hatch with ls-vtec and we can still see the temp in his cluster besides the one on the mechanical gauge and in the cluster the water temp needle is marking like a little over a 1/4 which is normal and OK but in the mechanical gauge is marking 200 degree. Is this the normal water temp temperature on a SOHC Turbo Civic that has a half size rad with a 12\" fan? In my case I'm using my fan in front of the radiator as a pusher if this makes any difference. Now I have a new set up which I can put back the fan behind the rad, like factory, and use it as a puller instead but if this is not necessary I leave at that. Just want to make sure my car is not over heating or anything cause I'm about to tune the car and push it limits. Any input would be appreciate!!!
Doing the best I can with what I got.

relic1

Post by relic1 »

oem fan turns on between 200-210, that's normal high temp. oem gauge that runs a little over 1/4, it should read right at half. keep in mind the gauge and ECU read from two different senders. It's very possible the sender for the gauge is faulty or the gauge needle has been tampered with or even the gauge itself could be faulty. another thought... you can also adjust when the fan comes on with eCtune, or install a lower temp fan switch if you want it to run cooler.
this is my $0.02, keep in mind that I can't spell

tommy954rr

Post by tommy954rr »

I have also found without a thermostat the water flows to fast thru the system. It doesn't have time to cool down in the rad. Try taking the stat apart and using the outer shell without the spring and middle piece.
Just a noob.

relic1

Post by relic1 »

old trick for parades, washer in place of thermostat.
this is my $0.02, keep in mind that I can't spell

TopMountGSR
<font color=green>eCtune Authorized Tuner</font>

Post by TopMountGSR »

I fell like if a car is getting in the 200s with ectune, it has some cooling system issues. I kick my fans on at 190 or 192. If everything is functioning correctly, My ects never get in the 200s, its a sleeved race car. I've seen the stock ect gauge not move during a 30 degree ect swing. Stock civic fans are really nice If you dont have the room for one of those and must use a slim line, spal 13\" 1700cfm is the only one I have found that is worth a crap. You have to use the oem wiring to signal a relay that will power it however. If you just use the oem wiring alone and no relay, it wont work. Hope this helps.
DKGoodrich EFI Tuning Solutions eCtune Authorized Tuner Frankfort, KY, U.S.A. 859-421-3334 http://www.dkgoodrich.com Image